foe_en_s4_b22.jpg

() review

""

More Reviews by aschultz
Jones in the Fast Lane (PC) artwork
Jones in the Fast Lane (PC)

Jones isn't perfect but offers revealing rat-race insights beyond the densely-packed jokes that never get cynical or fluffy. I found myself calculating how to cram in quick cheap education before week's end, or even working way more than I needed to or putting off asking for a raise (yes, it's just a game. Yes, ...
Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi (NES) artwork
Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi (NES)

It showed me that, yes, RPGs can transcend language. Maybe none can as well as your average puzzle game. But BW has lots more fun trying and getting far closer than expected.
Circus Caper (NES) artwork
Circus Caper (NES)

I felt little guilt replaying through it with cheats on, and I recommend anyone who wants to check it out do the same...But fortunately the cheap deaths will fade away much sooner than the bears on unicycles and such instead.

If you enjoyed this review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

JANUS2 posted August 06, 2009:

I enjoyed this review, ASchultz. It was a bit unusual because I typically expect your reviews to be fairly heavy on the analysis, but I admire the fact that you tried something different. I think it worked fairly well, too. The experience of playing 2400 AD comes across really well, which probably wouldn't have been the case if you had taken a more conventional approach.

Generally the descriptions were clear and vivid, but I did stumble over a few sentences. This one, for example: "They may prank the robots, whine or even know a thing or two, but assembling's out; the robots the Tzorgs left are, apparently, jealous about OTHER friends." Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't quite follow this. Who are the other friends? The subversives?
aschultz posted August 06, 2009:

Thanks! I tried something new and I'm glad you didn't find any huge holes.

The "other" friends is a reference to the other subversives:

1) the Tzorg robots are your friends
2) people might have friends--other people
3) the Tzorg robots are jealous of these friends

It's a tricky triangularization and I think I might do well to move it up. I think you saw this, but you had to fight to see it, and that's a sign I can be clearer.

Your suggestions to look harder to rewrite reviews as stories is a good one. I still don't know how to do this with Super Black Onyx, but I believe I can. I appreciate your encouragement for me to move beyond competence at "just" reviewing/analysis, and I am making a deliberate attempt to slow output to sit on a review and say, can I do anything extra with this.

I'd like to have put in something about how the "public service" messages get amusing after they repeat--some of them are "there has been a disturbance in sector X" and you know which NPC did it. They're also quite amusing as you get better, because you realize how little they may apply to you. I don't think I implied that strongly enough, but it would be tricky to put into the flow of the piece without making it analytical.

Well, that's what rewrites are for.

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.