Portal (PC) artwork

Portal (PC) review

"The only real drawback of this adventure is that youíll have a lot of questions that can only be answered by its sequel."

I got into Portal backwards. Everyone was singing that song, and there was some noise about a scary sentient computer, and then Chell. I still donít know what half of it all means, and itís unlikely weíre ever going to learn what became of her in the ďsmash-hitĒ sequel. At least Valve at the sense to sew up the storyline with a healthy dose of multiplayer awesomeness. Or so I hear; the rumours have been thick with this now classic simulation-puzzler.

YouTube was my vector into the story and gameplay of Portal. Yes, I watched the entirety of it, straight on to the ending. I spoiled the whole thing and still wanted in. Perhaps the cake was a lie, but Portal is brilliant and eminently playable. It wasnít long before I got into Steam and bought it. This was my introduction to the world of digital downloads, and my unmitigated acceptance of the intangible distribution system. In the 1990s the idea was strange, but when it went mainstream ten years later, Portal was my Killer App and I was glad for the transition.

To say the voice acting and storytelling is exceptional is a vast understatement. Portal turned out to be vicariously connected to another fascinating world full of lore and possibilities. I was drawn into the mythos of Portal as much as I was its gameplay. Which, by the way, are deceptively simple, as all great role playing action puzzle simulation games are. Thatís not a genre, I just made that up.

In Portal, you are a testing associate, guided by a slightly insane sounding female AI to complete tests. In boxes. (Also with boxes.) Lasers, pools of poisonous water, sweet talking bullet slinging turrets, companion cubes and incinerators are all your obstacles and solutions. There is a holistic learning curve to each puzzle, with each successive challenge adding another dimension that you must incorporate into your computing.

By the time everything goes awry, youíll be flinging yourself incredible distances with little to no regard for physics, dropping boxes on turrets, and dodging bullets like a military android. Not that youíll be congratulating yourself. Youíll be much too preoccupied paying close attention to GLaDOSí misdirections and veiled threats. Before soon theyíre not so veiled and youíll have broken out of the box and will be puzzling for your continued existence. Because GLaDOS will be trying to kill you in a curious way that holds enough fascination for its sequel.

What makes Portal work so well isnít the fluidity of the puzzles, or the even difficulty curve and beautifully executed plot twist. Itís the storytelling. All the while playing with portals to reach ever more dubious goals, youíre working to satisfy your own curiosity. Who are you? Why are you doing this? Who built all this? Valve invented a genre when they released Portal. Nothing like it had ever been done before.

Now we have games like Q.U.B.E., Five Nights at Freddies, Gone Home and every walking simulator to trek its way into players lives. Where would the industry be without Valve? Who knows, but Iím certainly grateful for Portal. The only real drawback of this adventure is that youíll have a lot of questions that can only be answered by its sequel, Portal 2.

My appreciation for Portal can be summed up in one of those rare moments you have with a total stranger. You quote GLaDOS, and then for the next ten minutes youíre both spouting lines youíve memorized because the game was just that much of a delight. Then you spend the next twenty gushing about how awesome it all was. Thereís a reason this oneís a classic folks, and itís better experienced than explained. Take my word for it.

hastypixels's avatar
Community review by hastypixels (September 21, 2017)

Once upon a time Asteroids was all he ever needed. Over twenty years later poor optimization still ceases to faze him. Remember kids: bandwidth isn't the answer. Fun is.

More Reviews by hastypixels [+]
Costume Quest (PC) artwork
Costume Quest (PC)

An approachable cartoon-styled RPG that feels fresh even when it's not working quite right.
Alien 3 (SNES) artwork
Alien 3 (SNES)

Itís when you have to start shooting things that the problems begin.
Hob (PC) artwork
Hob (PC)

A host of unfortunate flaws mar an otherwise beautifully realized adventure.

If you enjoyed this Portal review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

© 1998-2018 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Portal is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Portal, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher. 1516305177