Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhatten Project (NES) artwork

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhatten Project (NES) review

""Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project". Say it aloud. Absorb its cover into your retina: the Triceraton, the mousers, the turtles, the army of foot soldiers, and Manhattan floating in the sky like Sonic’s Angel Island. Forget all those other wimpy beat ‘em ups with their generic thugs and their standard streets and alleys. You know what? "The Manhattan Project" has robots, stone warriors, submarines, the Technodrome, and even a UFO. Beat that, Final Cat Fight or Streets of ‘Ro..."

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project". Say it aloud. Absorb its cover into your retina: the Triceraton, the mousers, the turtles, the army of foot soldiers, and Manhattan floating in the sky like Sonic’s Angel Island. Forget all those other wimpy beat ‘em ups with their generic thugs and their standard streets and alleys. You know what? "The Manhattan Project" has robots, stone warriors, submarines, the Technodrome, and even a UFO. Beat that, Final Cat Fight or Streets of ‘Roid Rage.

But spaceworlder, it’s soooooooooooooooo dated.

Shut up, Tiny. "Ninja Turtles III" is as fresh as it was in 1992, at least if you consider invention and imagination to be “fresh”. Each level is a discovery. Here is a game where you begin on a Florida beach, go surfing in stage two, board a submarine, trek across a wrecked Brooklyn Bridge, fight across the streets of New York City, take a detour into the subways, infiltrate the Technodrome through the sewer underworld of said city, and somehow end up on a UFO. Each level has an endless variation of foot soldiers, some bare-handed, some throwing ninja stars, some slinging sand in your face, others tossing boomerangs, and many carrying an assortment of ninja weapons. There’s also the stone warriors of Dimension X and even…fugitoids?! Yes comic fans, this game has fugitoids.

It would be a crime not to mention the bosses. Rocksteady has a harpoon gun. How bad ass is that? In the next level, you fight some sort of Ox who relentlessly smacks you with a pipe while occasionally charging to and fro like a bull on a sugar buzz. Even the obligatory Krang battle has a fresh twist that I dare not reveal, except to say that the little brain knows how to multi-task. This game is so epic, you get two fights with Shredder.

But spaceworlder, it’s sooooooooooooooo repetitive.

Think of what you’re repeating: you’re beating the stuffing out of robots and rock people. That is awesome repetition. Besides, unlike the simplistic "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game", you have more moves at your disposal. There’s the basic ‘tap A-button’ attack, the throw, the jump kick, and a unique desperation move for each Turtle. The points even tally up differently depending on how you attack or finish an opponent. For example, blowing up a foot soldier by throwing another enemy at him gets you more points than just smacking him to death.

You see, there is more to the game than just tapping one button repeatedly. But even if that’s all there was to it, "Ninja Turtles III" would still be entertaining due to the variety of enemies, traps, levels, and bosses. It also goes without saying that "Manhattan Project" has awesome music, because it’s a Nintendo game made by Japanese people.

But if you want a “contemporary” repetitive action game, be my guest and play "Devil May Cry". If you don’t want to play a game with some pistol-wielding wimp who fights generic demons in a standard gothic cathedral setting, Manhattan’s waiting. Just remember to take a blimp instead of a bus.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (May 30, 2009)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhatten Project review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

randxian posted May 30, 2009:

I really like the points you make in the review and you do a good job of selling the game.

However, the review seems a bit too edgy. You go a bit too far with knocking other fighting games.
JANUS2 posted May 30, 2009:

Brilliant review. Reminded me of something PUhler or NickEvil would write.
zippdementia posted May 30, 2009:

Cool approach, but there actually ARE a lot of problems with the Manhattan project, such as poor controls, a lack of a decent continue system, and an overal inferiorness to Turtles in Time.
joseph_valencia posted May 30, 2009:

I never had any control issues with Manhattan project, so I'm not sure what you mean. The continue system is what it is, but it's a bit more lenient than other Turtle games. I also found that you get so many opportunities to add to your 1UP count that it rarely becomes an issue.
randxian posted May 30, 2009:

I'm with spaceworlder on the controls. I don't recall any serious control issues with the game.
overdrive posted May 30, 2009:

Actually, Zipp, I thought Manhatten was the best TMNT game. With Turtles in Time (at least the SNES version), it was prettier, but that's about it. The Rat King level was pure crap.

I really need to play this game again.
joseph_valencia posted May 31, 2009:

Turtles in Time works better as a coin-op than a console game.

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhatten Project is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhatten Project, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.