Poly Towns (PC) artwork

Poly Towns (PC) review

"A city sim in its most basic, larval form. "

This is a city sim in its most basic, larval form. With a cute, minimalistic art style you are only given a few resources to worry about. You have to strategize what you place, when, and where to divert your workers at any given point if you find you're falling behind on something. At most you'll be managing your town's food more than anything. It could use some more levels of complexity but as a basic five dollar simulator, it's hardly the worst choice if you want to kill a few hours.

The problems I do have are superficial and will probably be tweaked in time. It pauses itself if you tab away from anything, which is NOT a good thing considering that, if you're balancing resource gains, you'll basically be staring at the screen for several minutes doing VERY little else while you watch your stone and wood very slowly crawl upwards before you can upgrade something and get those numbers moving up. I found myself just stockpiling one resource in the several thousand so I can move on to actually get things done.

This auto pause basically turns this game into a stealth idle - Except one you have to focus and stare at. Now, I don't mind idle games but the strength of idle games is you can focus on other things while you're doing it. No-go here.

It's tutorial barely explains anything other than a "You should build a few houses, a farm, a wood cutter, and a mine" with no indication that if you follow those exact instructions, you'll be starving your people within a few minutes. I failed the game twice before I figured out how to balance things.

That's a lot of negative. Indeed, I wish there was a "sort of" option overall. I certainly recommend it on sale, but more than anything I hope the dev continues to actually work on it.

Zydrate's avatar
Community review by Zydrate (August 06, 2017)

Zydrate is most active on Steam and Tumblr.

More Reviews by Zydrate [+]
Middle-earth: Shadow of War (PC) artwork
Middle-earth: Shadow of War (PC)

Expands on every mechanic Mordor had, which is exactly what a sequel should do.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC) artwork
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)

A highly nuanced, open ended RPG.
Assassinís Creed: Rogue (PC) artwork
Assassinís Creed: Rogue (PC)

It is essentially Black Flag: Lite.

If you enjoyed this Poly Towns review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Nightfire posted August 13, 2017:

I seem to remember seeing this review on your Steam page, and it still reads as a concise Steam review when posted here. The first paragraph basically summarizes the whole game. Is this game really that simple, or could this review have been expanded a bit? I wonder...

Also:

It's = The abbreviated form of "It is" or "It has".
Its = The possessive adjective you were looking for.
Zydrate posted August 13, 2017:

Probably just a type. (Probably).

Also it's a very, very simple game.

© 1998-2017 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Poly Towns is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Poly Towns, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.