Stardew Valley (PC) artwork

Stardew Valley (PC) review

"Pixellated graphics don't usually do anything for me but this game charmed my pants off."

After almost 20 hours on this game I am finally able to compile some real thoughts on Stardew Valley.

The game starts with a basic story; You’re an office worker that is given a deed to a farm. Your customizable character gets tired of the brainless office life and decides to move to the farm. You’re greeted by an older gentlemen who gives you the basics. You chop some trees, clear some land, given fifteen seeds and a handful of gold and your adventure begins.

At first, I felt a little underwhelmed. The first few hours are the very definition of incremental. There’s a lot of padding. Running, waiting, watering. It starts you off with very little and you just work your way up. The first few hours; I was actually getting kind of bored.

Thankfully, as the seasons go on, it gives you a lot more to do and the game brings a lot of charm and depth as you talk to all the characters, participate in their festivals, and you even have the chance to marry one of ten people; Orientation be damned, a touch I can quite appreciate.

As time went on, each day I dedicated to a single task. Usually I run off to talk to a few people, as you get friendship points for doing so, visit a shop to buy seeds or upgrade equipment, then I head off to the mines or my farm’s forest to get to work. Sometimes I head to the spa to replenish my energy, sometimes I just go to bed to skip the day. There’s plenty to do and I often resort to the game’s wiki which is concise and incredibly helpful to get the most out of the experience, much like I had to do with games like Minecraft.

Normally I’d explain that my gaming life started with games such as Unreal and Quake 2, so anything graphically inferior or even pixellated is usually a no-go for me. However Stardew Valley has brought a lot of charm to the table and I want to see my farm, my wife, and my town succeed.

I’d still even recommend this game on my usual metric of 1 dollar per hour of gameplay and entertainment. I paid the full 15$ and I have gotten much more than fifteen hours on it, and counting. There’s still plenty I’ve yet to do!

Zydrate's avatar
Community review by Zydrate (June 28, 2017)

Zydrate is most active on Steam and Tumblr.

More Reviews by Zydrate [+]
Dauntless (PC) artwork
Dauntless (PC)

A very playable Monster Hunter clone, in need of fine tuning and content.
Frostpunk (PC) artwork
Frostpunk (PC)

Pleasantly surprised by a challenging city sim with survival elements.
Far Cry 5 (PC) artwork
Far Cry 5 (PC)

Better than Four, Not as interesting as Three.

If you enjoyed this Stardew Valley review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

© 1998-2018 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Stardew Valley is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Stardew Valley, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.