Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PC) artwork

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PC) review

"If military shooters are your thing, then this is a healthy addition to your Library"

Rainbow Six Siege is a great game that is in need of some more content. More game modes, sprinkle in some more maps, and you'd have a real CoD competitor here. Indeed, it brings in what CoD has lacked; A cooperative multiplayer. Most of my several hours have been dedicated to the Terrorist Hunt game-mode, which I thoroughly enjoy. I've met some splendid and playful people as I endeavor to make comical quips at the end of each game. Usually things like "I'm playing by golf rules. Lowest score wins" (If I did poorly).

The game does a good job of 'feeling' like older Rainbow Six games. It's hard to explain but it's always nice to have a sequel that holds onto its "soul", if it's apt to use that word. There's simply not much to say about how the game functions - It's a military shooter. Even on Normal mode, you can only take a few hits before going down. Less and less on each difficulty level. The Division this is not - We're back to the 'realism' of military shooting. The game mixes it up with each "character" possessing a special ability that affects the playing field. Some of them are of questionable practicality - one of the only female soldiers has a shock drone. This is not an RPG, so what's the point of stunning a man for two seconds when one of your teammates can just turn a corner and gun him down in those two seconds? It saves time just to shoot rather than drive a drone around.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PC) image

Some positive things have been written about the community. In the Co-op, I'd agree. Unfortunately this melted away immediately as I touched down on PvP, wherein I lost three of the four games. Two of them I was beset upon by slurs and rape threats just because I didn't know everything there is to know about "Doc", considering I had only played him once or twice. Slurs against me just for the fact that I haven't played this game for 100+ hours strikes me as a little odd, but I always attribute this behavior to age. We'll never not have sixteen year olds screaming at us from headsets, it seems.

Other than that particular half of the community I find the game in need of an extra helping of maps and game modes. I played during the free weekend and I felt like I was just going through the motions after a certain point. The game is rarely not fun (As long as I remained versus AI) but it's hard to feel like a badass when I go an entire round without seeing a single enemy, and my teammates have already extracted the hostage before I could help in any way.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PC) image

You may see a handful of negative opinions on this game, but like anything else it really depends on personal playstyles. If military shooters are your thing, then this is a healthy addition to your Library. If you're not big on matchmaking or multiplayer, there is even a "Lone Wolf" setting for you to play against AI on any difficulty at your own leisure. Enjoy!

Zydrate's avatar
Community review by Zydrate (August 05, 2016)

Zydrate is most active on Steam and Tumblr.

More Reviews by Zydrate [+]
Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC) artwork
Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC)

An extra year of work and this is all they could come up with?
Cities: Skylines (PC) artwork
Cities: Skylines (PC)

This game is a required slot in any gamer’s library.
Destiny 2 (PC) artwork
Destiny 2 (PC)

A solid shooter that reminds me of other games but as the best version of all of them.

If you enjoyed this Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Nightfire posted August 05, 2016:

Sorry to hear about the way you were treated while playing this game. I suppose it's not very surprising, though. This is the internet. The associated machismo of war games also tends to bring out the worst in people; adolescent men in particular.

Thinking about it, I don't think I can think of a single gaming community that I would consider to be overall "positive". They tend to vary in terms of ickiness, but the best I have seen are some that are less negative than others.
Zydrate posted August 05, 2016:

WoW tends to have flareups of elitism and bravado but is decent. Champions Online hasn't been too bad.

Overwatch was positive... at first.

Decent communities are often scattered about. You have to find a group of decently minded people and just kind of stick with that.

© 1998-2018 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher. 1516219048