Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Project 32X

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 01, 2015 (02:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Every couple of years or so ditzy EiC, Jason Venter, decides this is the year when he’s totally going to champion a completion project. And, because it’s Jason Venter, it’s going to be a Nintendo console because otherwise his Kirby plushie tells him it’s going to start burning things down again. And we all smile politely and chip a few Nes reviews or something his way until something else comes along and the project is never heard from again. Logic might suggest the reason these have such a short lifespan is because of the daunting backlog of games that would need to be covered. Such an undertaking would require an army and what we have is barely a platoon. But, screw that; it’s more because who cares about Nintendo? Real gamers demand ethics play Sega.

Let’s be realistic; we’re in no shape to cover the hundreds of games in the Master System/Mega Drive/Game Gear/Saturn/Dreamcast demographic. That would be crazy. Who remembers the Game Gear, by the way? That thing would have destroyed the Gameboy if it didn’t eat through its batteries in approximately seven seconds. I’m not sure why I’m building up to a dramatic reveal; the console’s in the thread header thing you would have clicked on already.

Yes, the humble 32X. Released and discontinued before it ever had a chance to get out of the starting blocks in Sega’s ill-advised bulrush into prematurely killing their 16bit charge to stumble into 32bit and CD-quality sounds and Clockwork Knight Titles. But! Its infamous loss is a completionist’s dream; with its abbreviated release list, there’s actually some chance we can whack through the entire library in a non-specified time period. Even if this is HTML tumbleweed territory and it’s just a few people chipping away at it now and then, there’s already light at the end of the tunnel.

So, why bother being one of those people? I dunno; why not? If that doesn’t convince you, then I promise detailed feedback for every 32X review put through – the kind I used to give in, say 2009. Oh! Or 2011. That was a good feedback year. The ideal plan is to get a staff review on each game, so any new content you do produce can and will be upgraded to such upon request and/or whim. I’ll also throughout the project try to drum up work from outside sources where applicable. I don’t have many ideas on how to do so as of yet, but something will come up in the dead of night where sleep is imposable and the weight of the world and the many promises I fail to keep crush the life out of my lungs while I stare unblinking into the murky darkness….

*ahem*

So, helpful list of what games are available and still need to be covered?

A
After Burner: COVERED

B

BC Racers: COVERED
Blackthorne: COVERED
Brutal: Above the Claw: COVERED

C

Corpse Killer: Covered
Cosmic Carnage: Covered.

D

Darxide: Covered
Doom: Covered

E

-

F

Fahrenheit: Covered.
FIFA ’96: Covered

G

Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples COVERED

H

-

I

-

J

-

K

Knuckels Chaotix: COVERED
Kolibri: COVERED!

L

-

M

Metal Head Covered
Mortal Kombat II: Covered
Motocross Championship: Covered

N

NBA Jam Tournament Edition: Covered
NFL Quarterback Club: Not Covered.
Night Trap: Covered.

O

-

P

Pitfall – The Mayan Adventure:Covered
Primal Rage: Covered

Q

-

R

RBI Baseball ’95: Not Covered

S

San Goku Shi IV: Not Covered
Shadow Squadron:Covered
Slam City with Scottie Pippin: COVERED!
Space Harrier:Covered
Spider Man – Web of Fire: Covered!
Star Trek Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator: Not Covered
Star Wars Arcade:Covered
Supreme Warrior: Covered

T

Tempo:
T MEK: Covered
Toughman Contest:

U

-

V

Virtua Fighter: Covered
Virtua Racing Deluxe: Covered

W

World Series Baseball: Not Covered
WWF Raw: COVERED
WWF WrestleMania the Arcade Game: Covered

X

-

Y

-

Z

Zaxxon’s Motherbase: COVERED

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 01, 2015 (03:00 PM)

Good luck convincing someone to cover the sports games, with exception of NBA Jam. I'll take on Brutal, Spider-Man: Web of Fire, and BC Racers (stupid phone) when I have time.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: January 01, 2015 (03:15 PM)

I could see myself reviewing World Series Baseball. It's like the Genesis version, but nicer. I'm also planning on playing Knuckles Chaotix during my year long 20th anniversary 1995 gaming nostalgia tour, so maybe I can review that too. Space Harrier is more or less arcade accurate, so it should be painless to cover. Always wanted to play Primal Rage, too (snicker).

I feel bad for the poor soul who volunteers to do Doom 32X.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2015 (02:11 PM)

I can do a couple games here. And I might be that poor soul doing Doom 32X. Because if there's one thing this site needs in 2015, it's me doing another Doom review! If I can coincide it with a contest where revered former Summer Team Tournament judges are judging, more power to me!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 02, 2015 (05:19 PM)

Important reminder: freelance and staff reviews go through a copy editing process that is handled by yours truly. That will need to happen for any reviews contributed as part of this completion project, as well, in the event that you agree to have them promoted to appear on the site as such. Once posted as staff/freelance content, the reviews are no longer eligible for removal.

Submit any reviews for this completion project as normal. If you're into the idea of seeing them upgraded to appear as a freelance contribution, we'll make sure everything is in order and then see about assigning you the required freelance privileges, which include access to a special branch of the forums. I can take you through the copy edit process from there, as I like to make sure that you approve any edits before your name is attached to the review that appears on the site.

If anyone has any questions on this, just let me know. Thanks for your participation!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 02, 2015 (05:35 PM)

I've never even seen a 32X...

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: January 02, 2015 (05:42 PM)

Me neither!

board icon
Posted: January 03, 2015 (05:14 AM)

I had a 32X for a short period; I picked it up with Doom 32X and FIFA '96 from the shop I worked at after the guy sold it to me at cost just to get it off the shelf. I owned it for maybe three days before someone offered me a fair bit more than I payed for it so off it went. It was a really cool project and who knows what might have happened had SEGA not pulled to plug so ridiculously early.

board icon
Posted: January 03, 2015 (09:46 AM)

The problem with the 32X was that Sega stopped supporting the Genesis once the Saturn launched, which was the same year the 32X launched IIRC. Also, a lot of the more promising games got scrapped and/or moved to the Saturn or PSX. (Castlevania, Sonic Xtreme, X-Men, etc.)

board icon
Posted: January 13, 2015 (09:21 AM)

Two down already -- going to knock another off the list shortly.

board icon
Posted: January 15, 2015 (10:47 AM)

I hope to start either Brutal or BC Racers soon, perhaps tonight.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: January 15, 2015 (01:44 PM)

I promise to not steal Brutal or BC Racers!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Posted: January 16, 2015 (02:01 AM)

Eh, I wouldn't call it stealing. I was kind of vague on whether or not I would take it.

In other news, BC Racers is pretty blah.

board icon
Posted: January 16, 2015 (07:26 AM)

Man, I might as well go back to bed. The revelation that BC Racers is a blah game might be the biggest shock to my system yet in my life!

Although, I will say that from looking it up on Google, the graphics are better than I'd have expected, though I don't know if the pics shown were necessarily from the 32x version.

board icon
Posted: January 16, 2015 (11:08 AM)

Seeing the visuals in motion is not as impressive. It's actually quite nauseating.

board icon
Posted: January 16, 2015 (02:35 PM)

BC Racers is basically Mario Kart with Chuck Rock, right?

board icon
Posted: January 16, 2015 (05:03 PM)

Basically, yeah. Nowhere near as good, though.

board icon
Posted: March 04, 2015 (01:40 AM)

Just a fair warning that:

-I've finally started my BC Racers review.

-I'm claiming WWF Raw, since I've played it on other platforms and could easily churn out a piece for it.

-I probably won't get to Brutal for a while.

board icon
Posted: July 22, 2015 (09:33 AM)

I CLAIM:

Slam City
Corpse Killer

All killer. No filler.

board icon
Posted: December 20, 2015 (06:16 AM)

I dragged my feet a bit on this through 2015. Mainly because I took on more games than I previously planned, but I want this thing finished by the end of next year. To that end, I'm going to start a misery poll wherein I pick four random games a month and buckle down to knock out a review for the one that collects the most votes. So, for January 2016:

:: AfterBurner
:: Pitfall
:: Fifa '96
:: Supreme Warriors

I shall commit to the winner. Votes close January.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 20, 2015 (09:04 AM)

FIFA '96 sounds like a game that is not to be missed. Play it and let me know if you agree!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: December 20, 2015 (01:30 PM)

FIFA'96, because antiquated sports game reviews are rare.

board icon
Posted: December 21, 2015 (08:06 AM)

This is working out exactly as I both expected and feared.

board icon
Author: jasonventer
Posted: December 21, 2015 (09:08 AM)

Definitely review FIFA!

This is a test account. Messages should not be responded to unless indicated specifically. Thank you!

board icon
Posted: December 22, 2015 (01:55 PM)

Fifa. Definitely Fifa. The glee other people have in giving you this pick makes me think it's a must!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.