Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Aug. 9 to Aug. 15, 2021 -- A tagline was definitely needed.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 17, 2021 (06:27 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Will you look at that? It's already time for another of these topics from yours truly! This week, we have three PC game reviews from three writers, meaning everyone gets a spot and poor old Vacant is foiled yet again!

---

Third Place: Choice of Robots (PC) by Brian

This is a good review that nicely communicates your enthusiasm for the game, but in places it does feel overwritten and that in turn leads to minor grammatical errors that can trip up a reader such as myself. As a result, it felt a bit too dense for my liking and tempted me to skim, especially since there weren't a lot of nuts-and-bolts examples to make me appreciate how the game feels to play.

Runner Up: Astro Aqua Kitty (PC) by JoeTheDestroyer

This review made me feel that you were a bit on the bored side while writing it, despite running through some stuff that sounded interesting. The game sounds like I would probably enjoy it but not absolutely love it, which was how you felt in the end, so I would say your tone was a good match and not a mark against the review.

Review of the Week: Mysterious Realms RPG (PC) by EmP

Of the three reviews contributed this week, yours had the most personality, which is kind of how these things usually go. It also covered a game with content I found the most interesting of the three, in large part because Joe revealed that his game's interesting content isn't actually as interesting as it seems. You were blessed with a game that is MORE interesting than it initially seems, and you did well to stress that point. I'm not sure I entirely understand the color/numbers system, but I came away with enough appreciation to know there's something cool about it that can add some welcome depth. So I dub thee this week's winner.

---

Thank you for your contributions, everyone! I read about some games I probably would never have heard about otherwise, and enjoyed doing so. See you next time around!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 18, 2021 (11:38 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There's bits of that battle system I left out to stop it being even *more* confusing. Like silver gems! They deal damage based on your equipped weapon. I did say it was a hard one to explain...

Thanks for the nod; that review's been sitting in my draft pile for about a year now so it was time to clean it up and let it go. Props to Joe and Brian, doing the work to keep Vacant out of the standings. 2021's been a huge pile of awful, but Vacant's yet to score single point throughout, so at least I have that

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.