We've removed ads and are looking to Patreon to secure revenue so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Jawbreaker II (Apple II) artwork

Jawbreaker II (Apple II) review

"Jawbreaker 2 left me wondering: how small can a maze game be before it's not really a maze game any more? It lowers the bar further than I thought possible, as you run a clacking pair of teeth through five rows of dots with roving trap-doors between them. For all the cheery graphics, there isn't much to do, and yet it's more sophisticated than Jawbreaker, that silly clone of Gobbler, with enemies who actually get faster and smarter. Still, it's one of those games you can't b..."

Jawbreaker 2 left me wondering: how small can a maze game be before it's not really a maze game any more? It lowers the bar further than I thought possible, as you run a clacking pair of teeth through five rows of dots with roving trap-doors between them. For all the cheery graphics, there isn't much to do, and yet it's more sophisticated than Jawbreaker, that silly clone of Gobbler, with enemies who actually get faster and smarter. Still, it's one of those games you can't believe cost $30 back THEN.

Your clacking teeth start in the center row, as four smiley faces, presumably jawbreakers, roll into sight in the others. Getting to the power pills in the corner is no big deal, and you can chain a few pills together for the big bonus. The usual Pac-Man rip-off stuff happens. Enemies run once you eat power pills, power pills last less long, enemies get faster, and you get new treats in the center, too. Win, and you get your teeth brushed. Levels go quickly, and the main worry is getting trapped against the edge. No two monsters can appear in one row, and so they need the advantage of being able to go off the edge when you can't. All very cute, and there's a cut scene every four levels. Unfortunately, it's barely animated and doesn't change. Your teeth bounce into a dentist chair, and a scary machine lowers and cleans them.

Soon, Jawbreaker 2 becomes a game of waiting for holes to zoom past, often in corners. Enemies start to sense you and turn around at later levels, so you can't just trail them. Around level five, the borders don't change colors to warn you when a power pill is wearing off. If you get in a rhythm, you can clear levels until they stop changing, because the game keeps priming you with extra lives to make up for when your teeth go splattering to the ground, or when you forget you pushed up, which trumps horizontal movements.

Jawbreaker 2 might be just another game you'd make dumb mistakes on and say you could've figured if you wanted. Its introduction screens stand out, though. Chuck Bueche, AKA Chuckles of Origin, ported Jawbreaker 2 from the Atari personal computer, and all he could really add was your teeth chasing a jawbreaker to reveal first the title screen and then how points were scored. It even let you choose keys to move and stay still. He tried to make it not-suck, but the effort didn't show until later. Chuckles contributed to Ultima and later wrote a game of his own, a delightfully nonsensical dystopian sci-fi RPG called 2400 AD. You know, you should probably play that instead, enjoy his twisted sense of humor, and be glad he didn't play it safe with Jawbreaker 3. It would likely have been something horrendous like a text-adventure maze-gobbler game.

aschultz's avatar
Community review by aschultz (July 12, 2009)

More Reviews by aschultz
Jones in the Fast Lane (PC) artwork
Jones in the Fast Lane (PC)

Jones isn't perfect but offers revealing rat-race insights beyond the densely-packed jokes that never get cynical or fluffy. I found myself calculating how to cram in quick cheap education before week's end, or even working way more than I needed to or putting off asking for a raise (yes, it's just a game. Yes, ...
Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi (NES) artwork
Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi (NES)

It showed me that, yes, RPGs can transcend language. Maybe none can as well as your average puzzle game. But BW has lots more fun trying and getting far closer than expected.
Circus Caper (NES) artwork
Circus Caper (NES)

I felt little guilt replaying through it with cheats on, and I recommend anyone who wants to check it out do the same...But fortunately the cheap deaths will fade away much sooner than the bears on unicycles and such instead.

If you enjoyed this Jawbreaker II review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Jawbreaker II is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Jawbreaker II, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.