3DS | AND | IOS | PS3 | PS4 | VITA | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru (Saturn) artwork

Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru (Saturn) review

"Dear friends, I am about to admit something that Iím sure no one will forgive me for. Itís something I should have known about for ages, but sadly, I did not, thanks to my restricted knowledge of video games a child. "

My friends, IÖ I donít know who Kage Maru is.

But thanks to Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru, I know exactly who he is!

Heís a ninja! A super stealthy blue-clad ninja who likes to jam to J-Poppy-rock tunes that easily catch your ear. He apparently likes to strike poses, and train, or something. I canít really tell with the shiny still-frame montage. But it sure looks nice!

After about a minute of watching frame after frame, I found myself bopping to the music more than paying attention to the pretty graphical design. Which is odd because after 8 thousand views to try and figure what was going on, I found myself getting tired of the music.

Every time, though, I was caught by a sudden change about halfway through. The music suddenly mellowed, and our mysterious, previously disguised ninja showed his face!

Kage is a very effeminate looking man, as all Japanese anime-style men are wont to look. He must disguise himself to preserve his reputation!

But for some reason, he is readily OK to stand on a sliver of wood meditating while wearing naught but his blue ninja pants.

Perhaps itís why they show him running or jumping or something with a series of bright flashes to emulate movement. Because the next place heís at is the top of this tree or mountain. I canít tell.

After this brief intermission, the music picks up again, the same oddly-catchy-but-growing-old tune from the beginning. But our ninja has yet to put his mask back on. After that exhausting effort to escape sight, he should automatically put the concealing device back on. I donít know what to make of it. Perhaps heís in his private home where no one can see him. Thatíd make sense, if it werenít for the camera filming him 24/7.

Ö.This ďgameĒ is no game at all! Itís like watching a slideshow with flashy graphics and earworm music.

But at least I know who Kage Maru is. Heís a ninja, right?

wolfqueen001's avatar
Community review by wolfqueen001 (October 03, 2008)

More Reviews by wolfqueen001
Resistance: Fall of Man (PlayStation 3) artwork
Resistance: Fall of Man (PlayStation 3)

Resistance doesnít waste time showing you the way. There's a war to win, and you should already know how to fight.
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) artwork
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)

Chains of Olympus isnít necessarily a bad game. It just lacks creativity.
Pokťmon X (3DS) artwork
Pokťmon X (3DS)

Mega Evolution has turned out to be the most game-changing feature since the advent of abilities and natures in Generation III.

If you enjoyed this Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Advertise | Links

© 1998-2015 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol. 9: Kage Maru, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.