3DS | AND | IOS | PC | PS3 | PS4 | VITA | WIIU | XB1 | All

Sam & Max Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die (PC) artwork

Sam & Max Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die (PC) review

"I had been interested in the Sam & Max games for at least a year, thanks to EmPís reviewing monopoly on the series. Through a succession of AIM chats, I gained further insight into the titlesí history: the brilliance of the script, the difficulty of the puzzles, and the varying connections between them, among other things. Still, what he told me only scraped the surface. He revealed no answers, no spoilers Ė just enough to hold my interest. As such, it was his confidence that Abe Linco..."

I had been interested in the Sam & Max games for at least a year, thanks to EmPís reviewing monopoly on the series. Through a succession of AIM chats, I gained further insight into the titlesí history: the brilliance of the script, the difficulty of the puzzles, and the varying connections between them, among other things. Still, what he told me only scraped the surface. He revealed no answers, no spoilers Ė just enough to hold my interest. As such, it was his confidence that Abe Lincoln Must Die was the best in the season that turned mere interest into experience. When he generously informed me that Telltale was offering it as a free download, I jumped on it.

In this episode, the smooth-talking canine Sam and the somewhat psychotic rabbit Max are on a quest to save the county from the only power in the world who can control it: the President. The manís gone mad, issuing such un-manliness as mandatory group hugs at major sporting events and, the incarnation of all evil, gun registration. Apparently in todayís America, you can take our freedom, but not our firearms.

Your journey may only take six-hours to beat. You may only travel through a whopping five locations, many of which involve back-and-forth venturing to solve a single puzzle. The majority of these puzzles may be fairly easy. But the real hook isnít in the length of your experience, nor is it in the inflexibility of place variation or in the difficulty of achieving your goal. Itís in the utter hilarity of the writing, the almost continuous stream of political wisecracking, the constant jabs at the general publicís ignorance.

Though the puzzles arenít all very challenging (albeit there is the occasional tricky one), youíll likely be laughing throughout. Trick your way past security in a prankster fashion that would do proud even some of the most rambunctious children around. Chuckle at a clever dig at Bush as you interpret for the in-game President, who also seemingly canít understand English. Decide the best way to handle the pressing issue of the day: soda abuse. Because this country doesnít have any other more important issues to deal with.

And, when you do beat it, after discovering the reason for the gameís namesake and everything in-between, you can play it again. Sure youíll know everything you need to do this time around, but Iíll guarantee youíll pick up on some of the jokes you missed the first time through.

For those (like myself) who havenít played the previous titles, youíll only miss the occasional vague reference to prior events placed only to appease veterans of the series. Only items important to the plot are explained, but those are few and easy to grasp.

So to those who havenít played any Sam & Max title, youíre missing out on a lot of fun. I know I regret not jumping on this sooner. After all, whatís not to love about a game that both blatantly and subtly points out our own countryís faults in such a fantastically witty fashion?

wolfqueen001's avatar
Community review by wolfqueen001 (May 28, 2008)

More Reviews by wolfqueen001 [+]
Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2) artwork
Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2)

Making horror games fun
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PlayStation 2) artwork
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PlayStation 2)

If you donít think, you die. If youíre not careful, you die. If youíre not afraid, you die. If youíre too afraid you die
Assassin's Creed (PlayStation 3) artwork
Assassin's Creed (PlayStation 3)

This assassin sticks out like a sore thumb

If you enjoyed this Sam & Max Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

© 1998-2016 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Sam & Max Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Sam & Max Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.