Timeball (TurboGrafx-16) artwork

Timeball (TurboGrafx-16) review

"Some bad games can be relatively tolerated to a certain extent. Nickelodeon GUTS was pathetic but it was rather funny to make ordinary kids pull off flips that would make any Olympic acrobat cry like a baby. Dark Castle was a stinker and a half but the sheer hilarity of playing as an escaped vegetable gave it an incredibly small sliver of merit. Some bad games can do that and sometime..."

Some bad games can be relatively tolerated to a certain extent. Nickelodeon GUTS was pathetic but it was rather funny to make ordinary kids pull off flips that would make any Olympic acrobat cry like a baby. Dark Castle was a stinker and a half but the sheer hilarity of playing as an escaped vegetable gave it an incredibly small sliver of merit. Some bad games can do that and sometimes (when you're incredibly bored) you can fire them up and laugh at them, if you haven't microwaved the CD/cartridge first. Then, you get games that don't just cross the line of poorness/hilarity; they throw up on it.

Blodia may be the only current example of that type of bad game. Out of all the games I have picked up through the course of my hobby, only Blodia has made me feel bored, frustrated, tired AND rather sick simultaneously. Playing Blodia is like sitting through church, waiting at the dentist with a major toothache, watching paint dry and getting gallstones on one day, that day being your birthday. If you can imagine that, then you have a somewhat censored rendition of what playing Blodia is like.

All that the game entails is for you to guide a small marble through a series of tubes, which you must connect together. You have a series of track parts and you have to arrange the parts so they connect with each other so the small ball doesnít run out of track and smash. Basically, you have to use your problem solving abilities to rearrange the track to guide the ball to the end. Once the ball completes a section of the track, the track disappears. This keeps on going until the entire track has been used up.

That probably sounds just as boring as the events I listed earlier. However, donít get too enthused yet as youíll find that Blodia gets even duller and even more depressing. The game features one hundred levels rife the same slow paced action, tracks show a bit of variation in amount and even overlap each other but, try to vary as they may, even tricky track combinations cannot roll Blodia away from its fundamental problems. The time waiting for the ball to reach the area of the track you just arranged feels like a century, with every second feeling like someone driving an icicle into your spine and twisting it around slowly. Then, itís followed by a sharp and tense feeling of indigestion as you realize that youíve gotten so bored waiting that youíve made a mistake with the track arrangement. This then leads to a sharp pain in your knuckles as your fist clashes with your monitor.

In an attempt to cure your boredom and calm your rage, you can choose between the generous amount of not one, but two music tracks. You get some weak humor from the cheap translation of the song Labylinth, a track that is surprisingly good (for this gameís standards anyway) and the rather similar but less humorous Olivia. BUT, donít fret my friend because if these tracks irritate you, you can choose to play the game in COMPLETE AND UTTER SILENCE!!! The choice is yours!

I really canít imagine anything more boring than Blodia. The concept is dreary enough but the fact that we have a ton of levels that contain the same monotonous task is obviously unforgivable. Itís even worse when this task actually requires your full attention in order to be successfully completed. Imagine the task that stills your brain the most, it canít even compare to the tedium and frustration brought forth by the repetitive tasks here. Donít even bother buying or even downloading Blodia, itíll mercilessly snatch away five minutes of your time and leave you even more bored than you were before you fired up the machine to play. Itís like getting your hand crushed inside some revolving cogs and then covering it in salt, downright painful.

Beware of the ball!

goldenvortex's avatar
Featured community review by goldenvortex (November 25, 2005)

More Reviews by goldenvortex
Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis) artwork
Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)

Despite being average at its core, Super Fantasy Zone certainly possesses a unique charm and pleasant aesthetics. Taking a similar structure as its predecessor, Super Fantasy Zone combines the cartoonish buoyancy of any 16-bit platform game and the fast-paced action of any other 16-bit shooter to create a creative blen...
Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 (Sega 32X) artwork
Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 (Sega 32X)

To this day, I have no idea why I'm a 32x fan. I mean, I know the entire concept of the 32x was stupid and that the majority of the 32x game library (if you can call it a library. I think bookshelf would be a more appropriate description) was mediocre. Yet, I still have some hideous attachment to the add-on, despite no...
INXS: Make My Video (Sega CD) artwork
INXS: Make My Video (Sega CD)

Now, Iíve only played a handful of games that Iíd describe as truly awful. These games were either unplayable due to horrible controls, an awful grasp of the subject matter or they were just plain boring. However, despite my exposure to these horrible titles, nothing in the world could prepare me for the sheer atrocity...

If you enjoyed this Timeball review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!