Dead or Alive Paradise (PSP) artwork

Dead or Alive Paradise (PSP) review

"There are a lot of things I could say about the originality, style and luster of Dead Or Alive: Paradise. Thatóas far as casual games goóthis one stands out. Itís over-all factor is reminiscent of the original Xtreme Beach Volleyball , where you buy gifts for the lovely ladies of D.O.A., try to persuade them into teaming up, and battleóhowever brieflyóon the courts against two other players. "

There are a lot of things I could say about the originality, style and luster of Dead Or Alive: Paradise. That--as far as casual games go--this one stands out. Itís over-all factor is reminiscent of the original Xtreme Beach Volleyball , where you buy gifts for the lovely ladies of D.O.A., try to persuade them into teaming up, and battle--however briefly--on the courts against two other players.

I could bring up that theyíve included other laid-back entertainment options for you to enjoy, including a casino, capture the flag and theyíre own unique twist on jousting. And when youíre not playing games, you can relax on the beach or poolside, and take an almost unlimited amount of pictures and--with the amount of characters and environments--youíll rarely see the same thing twice.

I have no problem mentioning that all this is done with a good over-all structure. The controls are tight and responsive, collision detection and camera angles are flawless. Whether youíre playing beach volleyball, or even trying to center the perfect photo, Paradise provides you with great mechanics, and very little frustration. And it should also be noted that even for the PSP, the definition and character design is striking, and the over-all graphics are some of the best Iíve seen on the system.

Thereís not much in the way of story, but thatís common with any casual game, and itís almost better that it draw back, and allow a player to make their own decisions, and escape into a world they control, rather than dictate constantly what they must do. I appreciate such, and have not seen a game as lenient as Paradise in a long time. I was simply allowed to play on a digital beach with beautiful women. You'll hear no complaint from me on that aspect.

Based solely on a gamerís perspective, the graphics, controls and fun-factor make Dead Or Alive: Paradise a great casual game, and definitely worth the money.

But thatís not why youíre reading the review is it?

You want to know if itís worth purchasing for the same reason I did: The bikini clad girls.

It is, but itís not as shallow as one may initially think, and that only leads me to have more appreciation for it. Even I felt a little lurid when I purchased the game, and was immediately asked for I.D. by the guy behind the counter. I imagined I was in for a game filled with nudity, smut and debauchery. Yet as sinful as Paradise comes across, itís also done with a touch of class.

I know that may sound crazy, but Paradise doesnít ever go past being overly suggestive. Itís not blatantly raunchy, only gives you the idea it could be, then leaves the rest to your imagination. Itís up to the gamer how they want to take it. One could watch the opening scene, see Hitomi and Leifang both licking an ice cream cone at the same time and think nothing of it--that itís merely innocent summer antics. Others may envision the ice cream as something else entirely.

Yes, some of the swimsuits are so tiny they barely serve a purpose, the jiggle factor is a bit over-emphasized and some of the characterís relaxing on the beach can wander into very questionable positions, it still is not something I would consider graphic unless you want it to be. You can turn the camera any which way, zoom in and immortalize a number of things you wonít see in the swimsuit issue, or you can draw back, focus solely on the background and render some very unique, tasteful photographs as well.

The choice is up to you, and the wonderful thing about Paradise is that you have them. Itís a fine line between seductive and vulgar, and the game treads that very well. It gives you the option of living out your desires with an island full of beautiful women. What you do with them is up to you.

And for both reasons, I loved Dead Or Alive: Paradise. The gamer in me enjoyed the casual nature, the structure and over-all fun factor; the adult in me appreciated the beauty, the undertones and the seductive connotations. Itís still aimed at a certain demographic, yes, but those that fall within it should consider themselves very lucky.

I do.

True's avatar
Community review by True (August 03, 2010)

More Reviews by True
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS) artwork
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)

They then thrust them into a meek storyline that does nothing to supplement the Golden Sun epic or answer the questions made at the end of The Lost Age, only gives you random, useless insights to the after-effects of Issac and his groupís end goal. Most of these are meaninglessówhat alchemy did to the lan...
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PlayStation 3) artwork
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PlayStation 3)

Even before its release, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood was the victim of utter scrutinization. Many knew the premise, but most wondered if the ideas present werenít more than fancy add-on content. Multi-player they said. You donít need to make an entirely new game for that! Angry retort from the
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PlayStation 3) artwork
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PlayStation 3)

Iím the type of person who easily forgives flaws. So long as a game has one incredible, striking element I can ignore shoddy camera angles, loose controls or bad graphics. Itís a requirement that shifts depending on which genre Iím playing. For survival horror, it simply has to do one thing: terrify me. Do that, and Ií...

If you enjoyed this Dead or Alive Paradise review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!