We've removed ads and are looking to Patreon to secure revenue so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (PSP) artwork

Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (PSP) review

"There were several occasions where I would shoot the ball, it would smack the goalie right in the head, launch into the air for several seconds, thenófinallyóhe would stick his hands up, in some feeble attempt to block my shot, which he already did with his face"

I donít know much about Soccer. My knowledge extends as far as: Beckham is a pretty boy, England and France will always hate each other on the soccer field and ďball goes in the goal.Ē The sheer enjoyment of Winning Eleven consists of not having to be a master, of not having technical jargon crammed down my throat or staring at plays with xís and oís and wondering what the hell to do with it. Winning Eleven is a straight-forward, no-gimmick sports game that I surprisingly enjoyed more than I thought I would. Sometimes--yes--even I like to get right to the point.

There were days where I just wanted to go out on the field and play a quick game, other days where I wanted to build somewhat of a rivalry with another team and meet them in the finals. Winning Eleven has several options depending on your mood, from quick exhibition games to season mode, where you start from scratch, build and mold your team as you work your way up three divisions. If you donít have the patience for Season mode, but you want something a little more involved than an Exhibition, Eleven also has the Cup mode. Several tournaments are available, from the Puma Cup to the Konami cup, and they can last anywhere from four to eight matches. At the end, providing that you win, you get a neat little celebration video and some much needed cash. It didnít keep me as involved and busy as Season mode did, but Brazil and me definitely had a ďwhat forĒ.

Elevenís controls make use of every button, but it doesnít take a masterful combination or perfect timing to pull off a good play. You donít need to highlight players, wiggle the analog stick in just the right direction or spend countless minutes setting something up. Eleven is fast paced, and the AI is wonderful. All you really need to worry about is moving the ball downfield and making sure the goalieís not in the way when you kick it, or a defender is not in the way when you pass it. I didnít wear out the buttons on my (borrowed) PSP trying to get it to respond, but I did get my fair share of blisters from the d-pad while I was trying to work my way around defenders. The controls are responsive; itís those damn defenders that ruined my thumb.

That leads me to one little quibble about Eleven, though. Sometimes the controls are too responsive, and they also have a little bit of memory. If, in a panic, you press the X button more than once to pass the ball, no matter how long it takes to get down the field, the next person it gets to will automatically pass it again, and sometimes not in the direction you want him to. If you try to set up a ďpass-shotĒ by pressing X and then Square, itís an awesome way to juke the goalie. However if your teammate ends up missing the ball and youíve already pressed square, he may chase it down but the command to shoot was already entered so heíll take it, usually out of range and you can only watch as the ball soars high above the goal. It definitely takes a little getting used to, but itís certainly not a huge flaw.

The one huge flaw with Eleven: The sound. Most sports games (or any for that matter) have at least a few soundtracks while youíre in the menus or during halftime. Eleven is lacking any. Itís all just digitized, boring elevator music. Eleven--surprisingly--is lacking commentary as well. You get crowds cheering and someone screaming ďGoooooal!Ē when you score but that was it. Iím not dying for full on play-by-play action, but a little might make the game seem more real.

And graphically, I expected a little more too. Yes, the arenas are wonderful and the players are well defined, but Iíve come to expect at least a few highlights in a sports game. The only FMV I was able to find is in the beginning. The rest of the game is digitized, which--donít get me wrong--looks good but I wouldnít mind seeing a few videos once and a while.

Although Winning Eleven is lacking any highlights, it more than makes up for it in the games solid animation. There were many times I found myself racing down the field, one defender to beat, charging at him full steam, only to put my foot a little too far forward and blindly pass the ball behind myself to a waiting teammate, all without even slowing down. I would race up to the corner of the field to catch a misplaced pass, sneak up on the goalieís blind spot and shove the ball in with the outside of my foot before he even knew what happened. If I found myself in trouble, I could kick the ball across the entire field and watch as my waiting forward leapt into the air to either head butt or ďPeleĒ the ball into the goal. Itís definitely cool to watch.

The problem is, the game can be so fast paced sometimes you often miss wonderful little animations like this. Granted, Eleven has an abundance of replays, some of which allow you to lock onto the most pivotal players, letting you break down the play in a wide variety of camera angles. These only happen when a goal is attempted or scored, though, so most of those cool passes or leaping blocks disappear forever.

The mechanics could also use a little tightening. There were several occasions where I would shoot the ball, it would smack the goalie right in the head, launch into the air for several seconds, then--finally--he would stick his hands up, in some feeble attempt to block my shot, which he already did with his face. Other times, or rare times as it may be, I would kick the ball and it would launch long before my foot even reached it. The animations of the game are great, but it just lacks the minor details, much like Smackdown! did when it first came out.

There are a lot of sports games out there, and Iíve seen a good many that detour from the actual construction and formula of the sport. Some use zany antics and colorful characters, others use pointless stories and useless gimmicks. Sometimes it works, other timesÖ not. But every now and then you find a game that doesnít over do it, a game that reminds you not everything has to be dazzling to be fun, it doesnít have to be an epic to be worthy of playing. Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer is one of those games. Itís simple--but sometimes simple is enough.

Pro Evolution isnít mind blowing by any means. Itís solid, plain and simple. It doesnít gamble with gimmicks that may or may not work, it doesnít add a whole lot of fluff to try and distract you. Pro Evolution is a pull no punches, straight to the point soccer game; and while it may not be the next era of sports gaming, I can certainly name a few sports games that arenít half as good as this one--or nearly as defined.

True's avatar
Freelance review by Greg Knoll (March 09, 2007)

More Reviews by Greg Knoll
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS) artwork
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)

They then thrust them into a meek storyline that does nothing to supplement the Golden Sun epic or answer the questions made at the end of The Lost Age, only gives you random, useless insights to the after-effects of Issac and his groupís end goal. Most of these are meaninglessówhat alchemy did to the lan...
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PlayStation 3) artwork
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PlayStation 3)

Even before its release, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood was the victim of utter scrutinization. Many knew the premise, but most wondered if the ideas present werenít more than fancy add-on content. Multi-player they said. You donít need to make an entirely new game for that! Angry retort from the
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PlayStation 3) artwork
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PlayStation 3)

Iím the type of person who easily forgives flaws. So long as a game has one incredible, striking element I can ignore shoddy camera angles, loose controls or bad graphics. Itís a requirement that shifts depending on which genre Iím playing. For survival horror, it simply has to do one thing: terrify me. Do that, and Ií...

If you enjoyed this Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!