MediEvil: Resurrection (PSP) artwork

MediEvil: Resurrection (PSP) review

"Have you ever not wanted to do something? "

Have you ever not wanted to do something?

Of course you have.

Youíve procrastinated on an assignment. Youíve absolutely dreaded going to work. Itís even worse when you donít want to play a video game. I mean, video games are a form of entertainment. Youíre supposed to enjoy playing them, but sometimes, you just come across a game that you just canít stand for whatever reason. For me, these games arenít the worst games on the shelf and they arenít the best games either. Theyíre those average games that weíve all come across in our gaming careers that donít do anything wrong, they just canít keep your attention.

The latest game in my seemingly never-ending saga of games I donít really want to play is MediEvil Resurrection. To be honest, most games on the PSP lately are falling into this category, but MediEvil Resurrection is a particularly strong example. I got the game a week ago and itís the only PSP game I own at this point.

And my PSP is still sitting in my top desk drawer not being played.

Itís not that MediEvil Resurrection is a bad game, but itís just doesnít have spunk. It canít keep my attention. A particularly bad game can keep you interested because itís so awful and a great game can too because it constantly ďwowsĒ you. MediEvil Resurrection doesnít do anything that makes you think itís terrible, but it doesnít do anything that surprises you either. It just sort of exists.

I was surprised too, because I had spent some time with the series on the PSOne. Back when the first two games came out, I liked them a lot. MediEvil Resurrection is a near carbon-copy of those originals, so that makes this game feel outdated right out of the box. Thereís really not that much to this game that wasnít found on the PSOne originals and thatís just not good enough anymore.

In MediEvil Resurrection, you play as Sir Dan, an undead hero to the whole world. As it turns out, he really wasnít a hero. He was more of a coward actually. He hid way in the back of a major battle against a badass sorcerer with an army of undead legions while everyone else was brave and fighting. Sir Dan was one of the first to fall. Somehow he ended up being considered a hero with everyone thinking that he killed the sorcerer. Itís funny how history changes depending on who writes it. Our hero has been given a second chance to prove his actual worth and perhaps earn a spot in the Hall of Heroes where all the great fallen heroes go when they die. To do that, he has to actually kill the sorcerer and his undead legions who have returned to conquer the world once again (but for real this time).

As Sir Dan, youíll travel from area-to-area vanquishing any enemies that happen to get in your way by mashing the attack button. Youíll wield swords, axes, crossbows, and throwing knives, among other weapons. Sir Dan has to wander through creepy graveyards and mausoleums attacking a variety of foes like skeletons and mummies. Occasionally youíll come across a puzzle, which are probably the only thing in this game that provoke interest. One puzzle requires you light a club on fire in one area, run into another area, and then use it to burn apart a bookshelf. Nothing particularly complex, but it requires some thinking at least.

The problem is, even with all the weapons, you wonít have much desire to wield them, let alone swing them. Maybe itís because the graphics look exactly like the original PSOne game. The PSP is a much more powerful system and weíve seen some great graphics. It makes MediEvil Resurrection seem sloppy. Maybe itís boring because the hack-and-slash gameplay has been done better countless times over the past few years. The PSP already has Untold Legends and it does hack-and-slash gameplay loads better than MediEvil Resurrection. When you stack it up against some of the bigger consoles best hack-and-slash games, this game doesnít even stand a chance.

Iím going to take a guess that both of those factors contribute to my feelings.

I donít know how MediEvil Resurrection ends. I barely know how it begins. I do know that every time I sit down to play this game, after sitting through the too-long-for-what-you-get loading screens, I just want to turn it off, and thatís not a feeling that I want to have when playing a game. MediEvil Resurrection just feels old, some ancient relic of the past thatís fun to look at and say ďwow, hey, I remember that game,Ē but really, when you go back and play it, itís just not that good anymore. Games have progressed. Iíd love to play a better, more interesting Medieval, but thatís just not in this game. What you do get is a functional game that doesnít do anything wrong on a technical level (besides the outdated graphics), but it just wonít suck you in to the shoes of your hero and convince you that you are Sir Dan and get you behind his quest. That just might be the worst fault a game could ever have.

asherdeus's avatar
Community review by asherdeus (May 17, 2006)

More Reviews by asherdeus
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360) artwork
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360)

The game is in many ways a perfect example of Activision's consistent mishandling of the Bond license. It's certainly gotten a little more polish than your average licensed Activision release, but itís still not worth your time.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC) artwork
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)

Eidos Montreal deftly updated the game to give it more modern sensibilities while retaining the core of what captivated us with the original. I'd even go as far as arguing that this is the very best entry in the series and closest to the original vision of what the game could be, though some may disagree.
Bodycount (PlayStation 3) artwork
Bodycount (PlayStation 3)

Somewhere along the way, the vision for this game was lost and what remains is a jumbled, unsatisfying mess. There are good ideas here - the controls work very well and the core ideas the game calls on have potential. It's just very poorly conceived. Nothing really meshes together and I got the feeling that it was just...

If you enjoyed this MediEvil: Resurrection review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!