Zero Wing (Genesis) artwork

Zero Wing (Genesis) review

"If thereís ever been a reason to hate nerds, Zero Wing is it. I have nothing against the actual game, as itís a reasonably competent Genesis port of what Iíd guess was a reasonably decent arcade game. No, what I hate is the absurd amount of notoriety this game has received SOLELY due to a pre-game cutscene featuring inexplicably poor attempts at utilizing the English language. "

You open on a large ship with a subordinate excitedly babbling that, ďSomeone set up us the bomb!Ē That someone (the bizarrely-named ďCATSĒ) soon pops onto the screen, declaring that ďAll your base are belong to us.Ē Hilarity ensues as cackling nerds repeatedly belch out those two lines, as well as a couple of other ones -- possibly as a defense mechanism to ward off deep thoughts such as, ďYou know, Iím still a virgin and Iíve never even kissed a girl.....ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!Ē

The funny thing is that, despite my irrational hatred of all that tomfoolery, I found myself begrudgingly admitting that I had my fair share of fun moments playing Zero Wing. Itís not an exceptional shooter, but it is well-designed, loaded with bosses and fairly long. In a departure from what genre fans would expect from Toaplan (manic, vertically-scrolling action), this game prefers to move at a nice, relaxed pace from left to right. While a scant few areas truly match the claustrophobic splendor of R-Type, itís obvious that game was the inspiration for much of Zero Wing, as you spend a good deal of time going through enemy bases while dodging the various attacks of enemies placed in tricky spots.

However, unlike R-Type, you get a weapon designed for the purpose of making many of these challenging areas very easy. While Iím sure the spread gun and the laser have their merits, itís impossible for me to justify their use over that of the homing attack. Able to curve around walls, this gun will make short work of enemies located in those spots where the other two weapons are powerless to help. As you power it up to its third (and highest level), youíll watch waves of green bullets speeding above, below and in front of you, destroying enemies as soon as they appear on the screen. Itís truly a beautiful thing!

My feelings about the two sidekick pod ships you acquire arenít quite so positive. They can be quite handy, as they have the ability to block many forms of enemy fire, but that usefulness is somewhat tempered by their size and appearance. When confronted with many of the more action-packed sections of this game, I often found myself losing track of what was my ship and what was a pod, causing me to blunder into enemy fire and walls more than once. And since death effectively removes all your power-ups, that gets a bit annoying.

I found myself perturbed by a number of the bosses, as well. While I appreciated the fact there were a ton of them in the game and I thought most of them looked good, the actual fighting tended to be a bit on the redundant side. Too many of these foes utilized some sort of spread fire as (at least) a healthy chunk of their offense. To me, that shows a lack of creativity on the part of the designers. If you feel a foeís lasers and fireballs arenít sufficient to make it challenging, why not upgrade those two weapons? Simply adding a spread gun to its arsenal just seems to be taking the easy way out -- something I see far too many ďgood-but-not-greatĒ shooters do.

And, regardless of how many weapons they have, many of these bosses simply arenít tough. If you have the homing weapon at full power, youíll measure the duration of a good number of these battles in seconds, rather than minutes. Regardless of how much ammo a boss puts on the screen, if you only have to dodge bullets and other attacks for 20-30 seconds, youíre not going to look at it as a memorable fight.

Thatís the primary downfall of Zero Wing -- little (if anything) contained within its eight levels can truly be considered memorable. I enjoyed the first level, as you exit your mothership as it explodes, fly through space (complete with stars that ACTUALLY look good -- a rarity in 16-bit console games, Iíve noticed), go through some sort of ship or base structure and then emerge over a planet for the main boss encounter. All-in-all, that was a pretty stylish way for this game to begin.

However, the momentum quickly faded, as a number of the remaining stages tended to be less impressive. Enemy bases were plentiful throughout the game, while the themes of the levels seemed to be randomly thrown together with no cohesion. The fourth level puts you up against a gigantic battleship in a jungle. Finish it off and youíll be sent into an immense tunnel. That will be followed by a tricky base level, which leads into a jungle. As I play more and more shooters, Iíve found myself growing to appreciate those that find some way to tie their levels together, even if itís nothing more than a map showing a collection of planets with you flying from one to the next (such as the Neo-Geoís Zed Blade).

Despite its lack of atmosphere and memorable moments, Zero Wing still is a pretty enjoyable game. With competent design, as well as decent (if not exceptional) graphics and music, Iíd definitely pick this game over a lot of other 16-bit shooters Iíve played. It just never aroused the same sort of inspiration in me that such Genesis masterpieces such as Thunder Force 4 or the criminally underrated Bio-Hazard Battle were able to. Zero Wing is worth a play or two, but itís not one of the top shooters out there and (messed-up grammar or not) it DEFINITELY contains little to justify its pop culture significance.

overdrive's avatar
Community review by overdrive (September 16, 2005)

Rob Hamilton is the official drunken master of review writing for Honestgamers.

More Reviews by overdrive
Robo Aleste (Sega CD) artwork
Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

I think a lot of shooters I play in the future are going to seem sort of mundane after this game.
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) artwork
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360)

While I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Red Dead Redemption one of the best games ever released for the Xbox 360, as aggregate review scores indicate, it was still a fun romp with only one thing I'd consider to be a glaring flaw.
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) artwork
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

Where I revisit the past through the present...or some such pretentious-sounding statement.

If you enjoyed this Zero Wing review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!