3DS | AND | IOS | PS3 | PS4 | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All
Still Life (Xbox) artwork

Still Life (Xbox) review

"I use the term Ďplayingí rather loosely. Still Life doesnít usually feel like a game. Instead, itís like reading an interesting mystery novel but all of the pages are stuck together and you have to fight just to keep reading. Though you do control the protagonists directly, thereís not much to do with them but walk from place to place, talk to people and maybe solve some irritating puzzles along the way."

You are a dashing young man and you have a date with a beautiful woman. Youíve been anticipating it for awhile. It should be a memorable evening. You show up and the date begins. Suddenly, your love interest pulls a knife from her purse and stabs you in the back. As you sink to the floor, coughing on blood and blinking against the fading light, you think that this evening was crap. Thatís Still Life, all summed up and packaged with a pretty bow.

The game begins promisingly, with a murdered prostitute soaking in a bathtub full of bloody water. As a homicide detective named Victoria, itís your job to gather the evidence that can crack the case. Itís an awesome premise. I expected a disturbing mystery and a rewarding journey through chaos. One out of twoÖ isnít really worth playing.

This flaw is immediately apparent. Before you can even enter the apartment where the body awaits, you must talk to the policeman who stands guard. Heís cold and he likes to use the word Ďfuckí a lot. Fortunately, you brought some coffee. This magical elixir is exchanged for news: the body is upstairs and Miller (your partner) has been vomiting because he canít handle the gore. This is your clue to go talk to your less fortunate partner in law enforcement. When thatís done, you get to go talk to your lead CSI before dusting the area for fingerprints.

You may have been willing to forgive the long lead-up, but now the situation worsens. Collecting evidence means diving through menus as you select an item, use it for a split-second, then return to the menus to use another item. In a way itís neat because real CSI folks must experience similar tedium, but the game doesnít save such joys strictly for crime scenes. You also must enter a security codes to access a room that shouldnít even have been locked, grab an umbrella to open an attic, enter a combination to open a trunk and even bake cookies for your father!

Iím not kidding.

These Ďpuzzlesí are important for only one reason: they make you feel like youíre playing a game. The problem is, the game isnít much fun. The only reasons to keep playing are the plot and the atmosphere. In these two areas, Still Life shines.

Plot-wise, thereís a lot going on. This is a game about a crime spree, after all. Or rather, itís a game about two crime sprees. Thereís the one set in the present, where you play as Victoria. Thereís another set in Prague around 70 years ago. For that hauntingly familiar mystery, youíll control a man named Gus. He is Victoriaís grandfather. As the player, you must piece the mystery together as you play. This means that youíll talk to a lot of police folk, a handful of hookers, and even a few Ďnormalí people that I suppose exist so the game feels somewhat grounded in reality.

While weíre on the subject of realism, I should mention in the gameís defense that the areas youíll visit really are atmospheric. Music and sound effects compliment each location perfectly. The seedier side of Prague feels just perfect. The audio almost promises a dead body, so itís always shocking but never jarring when one turns up. The word of the day here is Ďappropriate.í

If only I could say the same for the voices. Clearly, the actors worked very hard. The foul-mouthed policeman is memorable and credible. Your boss in the present, a woman named Claire, sounds weary of the situation in which she finds herself. She lends the game its humanity. Then Victoria sucks it away with her ridiculous comments and even cheesier delivery. When the game wants to interject humor, such as when she says ďHello, ClarisseĒ in a tone that I suppose is to remind us of Hannibal Lector, the voice inflection is so hideous that you canít help but wonder if some programmerís mom signed up for the job.

Even so, bad voice acting canít kill a game. I blame general shoddiness for that. The protagonistís snail-like pace bogs things down terribly. Areas sometimes lack sufficient distinguishing marks, which means you can get lost amid bland textures and frequent load screens. Plus, itís all just klunky.

See exhibit ĎAí, the autopsy lab. During my visit, I talked to Claire and she gave her analysis of the crime. Then I walked around the table to her other side (this time-consuming exercise proved necessary because I couldnít squeeze past her) to investigate some papers lining the counter. Victoria instead decided to converse with Claire again. I was forced to watch with disgust as the heroine sluggishly circled the table Iíd just skirted and proceeded to engage in the same bland discussion Iíd already witnessed. Thatís but one example of how a lack of common-sense design (or a character capable of interacting with the map in a reasonable fashion) marred the game.

In the end, though, I suppose Still Life wasnít ever really intended to be a proper game. Whoever came up with the idea mustíve just wanted to see where it went. The overall lack of polish certainly supports that notion. Donít make the same mistake I did. You donít want to wind up like I did, stuck with an ugly knife in your back. I guess it could be worse, though. Iím not a dead whore.

honestgamer's avatar
Staff review by Jason Venter (July 13, 2005)

Jason Venter founded HonestGamers in 1998, and since then has written hundreds of reviews as the site's editor-in-chief. He also is a prolific freelancer with game reviews, articles and fiction available around the Internet.

More Reviews by Jason Venter
A Druid's Duel (PC) artwork
A Druid's Duel (PC)

You'll probably find a lot to love before you stumble unhappily upon some parts you just plain hate.
1942 (Arcade) artwork
1942 (Arcade)

Seventh verse, same as the first six. Twenty-seventh verse, same as the first twenty-six...
3D Out Run (3DS) artwork
3D Out Run (3DS)

A faithful port with extras that will reignite your love for the drive.

If you enjoyed this Still Life review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

© 1998-2015 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Still Life is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Still Life, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.