Fantasy Zone (Sega Master System) artwork

Fantasy Zone (Sega Master System) review

"A couple of nights ago, I was playing Fantasy Zone on the Master System. I leaned back in my gaming chair while in the item shop and found myself tapping my feet and drumming my fingers to the catchy music. Observing my actions, my wife asked what I was doing. So, I let her have a listen, she agreed the music was catchy and we did a little dance. It was a great, whimsical moment that likely will bring a smile to my face for many days to come. "

Then I sat back down, left the shop and was promptly killed.

Fantasy Zone is a cute shoot-em-up with lots of sharp, pointy teeth (literally, if you consider the fish boss). If you look at the round, soft-looking, brightly-colored shapes in the background and think youíre playing some sort of sissified shooter, youíre wrong. Itís short and starts out easy, but it can become downright brutal if you donít know what youíre doing.

Each level has a simple objective. By taking a quick tour of any of the gameís horizontally-scrolling regions, youíll see a number of enemy-generating devices before the screen wraps around and you start over. Your mission is to destroy those things, with success resulting in you getting a one-way ticket to that levelís boss. While virtually all the little enemies take a mere one hit from your basic double shot, these generators can take a lickiní and keep on tickiní.

Early on, theyíre still quite easy to destroy. None of the minor enemies are capable much more than flying around aimlessly, so you can easily shoot each and every generator without worry. However, once you get to the third level, things get a bit more hectic. Not only do the enemy patterns get a bit more devious, but they also start taking an active interest in put a stop to your antics. Youíll soon see the screen occasionally get a bit cluttered with gunfire as youíre now forced to constantly dodge bullets and collisions while raining death upon the generators. By the time youíve reached the last couple of levels, odds are youíll be ducking a constant barrage of enemies and bullets while trying to lodge a few bullets into any given generator.

But thatís where the shops come in. Whenever you score a certain number of points, one descends from the heavens. Enter it to find plenty of ways to upgrade your little ship (charmingly named ďOpa-OpaĒ -- I hope you werenít expecting this game to enhance your testosterone levels). Buying wings or engines will allow Opa-Opa to fly faster. Those upgrades are super-cool because theyíre permanent.

Now, when you look at the weapon upgrades, things get a bit more complicated. You can buy a number of improved bombs (up to nine at a time), with each one costing a bit more than the previous purchase. While youíll always have an unlimited number of basic bombs, youíll have to be very careful in using the store-bought models. After all, thereís no point in wasting some destructive device that cost a few thousand dollars on some one-hit drone. More powerful guns are different in that you buy those upgrades for a small duration of time (roughly about 15 seconds), so youíll find yourself trying to cause as much damage as possible in a short amount of time.

Typically, youíll get to enter the shop at the beginning of most levels. Personally, I found myself buying a laser and a few of the heavy bombs and then using the laser to wipe out as many generators as possible. When its power had run out, Iíd be reduced to hit-and-run attacks on the generators while (hopefully) dodging some pretty intense counterattacks. After finally making it to the boss, Iíd usually shoot it a few times with the basic gun and then finish it off with a heavy bomb.

You see, the heavy bombs might be a bit costly to use in every boss fight, but you seriously donít want to mess around against those guys! Most bosses tend to move up-and-down or back-and-forth while shooting stuff at you, but if you take too long, they decide to take the fight to you. Abandoning their initial routine, the bad guy now will home in on you -- a tactic which easily can lead to your death in the blink of an eye.

Anything that leads to your death is something you likely want to avoid in Fantasy Zone (sez Captain Obvious), especially if youíve bought some bombs. You lose all your optional weapons upon dying, so if you had a few heavy bombs in reserve, get ready to bemoan the thousands of dollars that just got flushed down the crapper. Of course, this leads to one of those ďvicious circleĒ problems. Do you invest all your money into bombs and risk losing it all OR do you only buy a couple at a time and risk entering a boss fight without enough ammo to win quickly? I tell you, itís more thrilling than the stock market!

Fantasy Zone is one of those games that best can be described as simple fun. Just take a peek if you donít believe me. The backgrounds are bright, colorful and full of soft, gentle shapes. The seventh stage is particularly beautiful with waterfalls cascading down bright green islands that are drawn TOO WELL to be in an eight-bit game. It proves to be quite a wonderful distraction from all the airborne death being sent your way by the enemy. Bosses are large and somewhat cartoonish in appearance (although the awesome backgrounds arenít on display for these fights), while the regular enemies include tiny birds and other less-inspired creations.

But, Fantasy Zone really is the sort of game that never could amount to anything more than a diversion. There simply is no depth to this little shooter. You have a total of eight levels, which seems sufficient until you realize just how short they are. The few generators on each level are placed pretty closely together and a skilled, aggressive player could likely take them all out in a matter of moments. Each of the initial seven levels are essentially identical in theme, while the eighth is nothing more than a boss gauntlet. While the graphics are pretty, they donít really give the levels separate themes. Instead, itís like playing the same level repeatedly with the difficulty level rising whenever the abstract art in the background changes.

Fantasy Zone is a fun and cute game that really stands out as a visual and musical powerhouse among other shooters of its time while delivering a surprising amount of challenge towards the end. However, itís just a bit too simplistic and short to really be considered one of the best shooters of the eight-bit generation. Itís a great game to play if you want to sample a stylish shooter and you donít have much time to spare, but if youíre looking for something with substance on the Master System, skip this game and take a stab at its port of R-Type. Regardless, Fantasy Zone does deserve respect. As a fan of the TwinBee games, I was astounded at how horrible the first game in that series was. In the case of this series, Sega did a respectable job with the first installment and then simply improved upon that formula as time passed.

overdrive's avatar
Community review by overdrive (March 25, 2005)

Rob Hamilton is the official drunken master of review writing for Honestgamers.

More Reviews by overdrive
My Cat Vs. Zombies Ep I (Xbox 360) artwork
My Cat Vs. Zombies Ep I (Xbox 360)

Not great, but still far more fun than paying attention to gamer-type people yell at and snark at each other on Twitter!
Mummies Rising (Xbox 360) artwork
Mummies Rising (Xbox 360)

Stare in horror as undead monstrosities slowly creep towards you! *Checks watch* Uh, they will get there eventually...I promise!
Hana Taaka Daka!? (TurboGrafx-16) artwork
Hana Taaka Daka!? (TurboGrafx-16)

Submitted on a Sunday because this is the sort of game that's best on a dull weekend day when you just can't think of anything to do.

If you enjoyed this Fantasy Zone review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!