Rampage 2: Universal Tour (Nintendo 64) artwork

Rampage 2: Universal Tour (Nintendo 64) review

"Any area starts with a timer that ticks down toward monster Armageddon, and you have to destroy every building before that happens or else planes will come through dropping bombs that cut short your adventure. You can pick up clocks to delay the blessed event, but really the most effective technique is to just work fast at the wanton destruction. Otherwise, it doesnít take long to plow through your reserves on a particularly large city."

Thereís something tremendously satisfying about climbing up the side of a building, punching out its windows, eating its residents, then leaping away as it collapses into a pile of rubble in the chaos-ridden streets below. Sure, there are those pesky electrical outlets, and the military does send out bombers to cut short my reign of terror. However, such hazards are only a mild inconvenience. They may kill me, but I will rise again! A few button presses and Iím good as new.

The game is Rampage 2: Universal Tour, and itís Midwayís second attempt to revitalize the Rampage series on the Nintendo 64. Back in the 80s, the original game challenged players to stomp, punch, climb and crawl their way across a rather uniform depiction of the United States, wreaking as much havoc as possible before they ran out of lives and quarters. The new edition is more of the same but with a much shinier coat of paint, better controls, a more frantic pace, and a password system so you can save your progress as you visit something like 100 different locations. None of this drastically changes the concept behind the game, which is as things should be. Just know that the improvements on this cartridge arenít likely to change your mind if you hated the original.

The original Rampage featured buildings that looked rather similar to milk cartons lined up along a lunch tray at the cafeteria. A fitting comparison, as thatís basically what they were to the monsters players controlled. However, thatís changed for the new generation. Punch a hole in a concrete beam and it no longer looks like a container sprung a leak. Youíll see chipped off bits of rubble and sometimes special goodies lurking inside. These often take the form of rather silly objects. Live humans, salads, hotdogs, pizza and the like are going to boost your health gauge, while televisions, washing machines and other such hazards will give you a nasty jolt that does just the opposite. Except for the humans (who move around the jeopardized buildings like ants swarming from their hill), these items are presented as static icons amidst the shattered remains of uniformity that youíve demolished. You have only a split-second to decide if you want to gobble down the treasure youíve unearthed, or leave it behind.

I havenít played the original a whole lot, so I canít say very accurately what sort of constraints the game put on your time. I usually breeze through those stages rather quickly, then die the minute the game cranks up the heat. What I do know is that Rampage 2: Universal Tour wants to keep things frantic. Any area starts with a timer that ticks down toward monster Armageddon, and you have to destroy every building before that happens or else planes will come through dropping bombs that cut short your adventure. You can pick up clocks to delay the blessed event, but really the most effective technique is to just work fast at the wanton destruction. Otherwise, it doesnít take long to plow through your reserves on a particularly large city.

Speaking again of destroying buildings, not all of them fall swiftly. Some are tall and thin, and youíll have to climb multiple levels, punching and kicking like crazy. Others are shorter but wider, so you have to attack from both sides to remove enough of the foundation that theyíll collapse. Still others are short and look a little bit like banks or perhaps miniature versions of the White House. These fall swiftly if you give them a good stomp.

Regardless of the monster youíve chosen for the job (there are three initially available, plus the original three mascots if you make it far enough in the adventure), youíll find that you have the same basic moves available. You can grab window ledges and use them for support while you kick at buildings from the side, or you can punch them. You can climb to the top and stomp until things crumble, too. Finally, each of your character is better at one sort of thing (climbing, for example) than he is at another (like punching).

Besides those generic moves, you also have special attacks at your disposal. These can be used only when youíve filled the appropriate gauge, which is accomplished when you eat enough civilians or grab plenty of icons. Some icons instantly fill your meter, though they come along rather infrequently. The minute you decide to hit the Ďspecial attackí button, youíll launch into a whirlwind of flying fists and feet that spells disaster for even the sturdiest of structures. Since it only lasts for a few seconds, and because you have to do the most damage possible at all times in later areas, youíll likely find yourself saving the move for those crunch times when youíve just seen bombers fly overhead and you know their about to return with plenty of heavy ammunition.

Thereís not a one of the game elements Iíve described above that makes Rampage 2: Universal Tour the great play it is, though. Rather, itís the sum of the parts. Early on, you might well get tired of breaking down buildings and either gobbling up the residents or watching them plummet to their doom. Even the infrequent Ďbonusí rounds (lackluster events that require you to destroy buildings quickly or to see how far you can jump) donít do much to break up what is at its core one of the most repetitious games on the market. When I first played, I made it a few rounds in and died all my lives. I thought to myself ďHmm, that wasnít such a great game.Ē But I had time before my next class, so I played again. And again. I started doing better and better, and then I found myself disgusted because I had to turn off the unit and run like blazes just to get to class in time.

The game has that sort of effect on a person. You play it at first just to try it out, then youíre sure that if you play just one more game, you can do better. Iíve seen it happen to a lot of casual gamers. My wife played little else for weeks on end once I introduced her to it, and the multi-player mode enabled me to enjoy lots of games with friends at college. Itís even more fun leveling entire cities when you can stop partway through to punch your comrade from behind, then grin as he falls into the water or into the path of an approaching tank. Up to three people can play at once, which makes for some great gaming sessions if everyone just wants to get together over a few drinks from the fridge.

Eventually, like any game, Rampage 2: Universal Tour will wear out its welcome. Youíll be sick of playing it and youíll remember again that itís shallow, that the visuals arenít so stunning as the system surely could have managed, and that there arenít a lot of people around who will still agree to play it with you. But thatís after youíve had hours upon hours of fun, after the cartridge has paid for itself a few times over. No, itís not a classic. But you do get to destroy buildings and even swallow an Elvis impersonator in one stage. That alone is worth the price of admittance.

honestgamer's avatar
Staff review by Jason Venter (Date unavailable)

Jason Venter founded HonestGamers in 1998, and since then has written hundreds of reviews as the site's editor-in-chief. He also is a prolific freelancer with game reviews, articles and fiction available around the Internet.

More Reviews by Jason Venter
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (3DS) artwork
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (3DS)

The world of Labyrinthia is well worth visiting, in spite of a few missteps along the way.
Super Toy Cars (Wii U) artwork
Super Toy Cars (Wii U)

The mini-car racer is still a fun concept, but Super Toy Cars is neither refined enough nor interesting enough to justify your time and money.
Shovel Knight (Wii U) artwork
Shovel Knight (Wii U)

An attempt to revive old school sensibilities that works much better than similar efforts often do.

If you enjoyed this Rampage 2: Universal Tour review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!