3DS | AND | IOS | PS3 | PS4 | VITA | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

TV Sports Hockey (TurboGrafx-16) artwork

TV Sports Hockey (TurboGrafx-16) review

"As the Turbografx-16 goes, surely Cinemaware has reached rock bottom with this, the third and final TV Sports release (I don't believe TV Sports Baseball was ever released). This is possibly the worst sports game I have ever played, and certainly the worst hockey game."

I didnít expect much from TV Sports Hockey. This was the correct approach. But even so, with my base expectations set, the game doesnít deliver.

I am a Canadian, and I love the game of hockey (redundant, isnít that). I always felt that the sport was best represented in video games by the 'old school', top down, Electronic Arts NHL Hockey series. From the comparatively clunky NHL Hockey í93 on the P.C. to the perennial fast favourite, NHL í94 on the Sega Genesis, EA's early offerings made hockey feel like hockey in my book.

Not so, with TV Sports Hockey. As the Turbografx-16 goes, surely Cinemaware has reached rock bottom with this, the third and final TV Sports release (I don't believe TV Sports Baseball was ever released). This is possibly the worst sports game I have ever played, and certainly the worst hockey game. The redeeming qualities are so few and so trivial, they can be summed up in one sentence, and even then, that statement is a vicious lie: NEC tried to give the Turbo a hockey game. You see! The word 'try' reveals a disturbing un-truth (well alright, it does have a five-player simultaneous teammate mode, but the game's so bad it doesn't matter - you'll see).

Like any sport, hockey requires players to make it work. Cinemaware was not aware of this. They donít tell us, at any time, who the players are. Not one name is mentioned, nor is any number. Should you manage to score, you have the satisfaction of knowing only that Player One has put the puck in the net. In fact, individuals arenít even featured in the most cursory way when using the 'View Teams' function. All youíll see is Line A, B and C and their attributes - as lines. For some odd reason though, you can choose between G1 and G2 (goaltenders). Apparently, the goalies are important enough to get individualized treatment for their skills, if not for their names.

Move in on a breakaway, one on one with the goalie, and be treated to an inane close-up of your player winding up for a slap shot. Iíve seen this technique used in some soccer games and it is clearly out of place in a hockey game. Because of its inclusion, donít expect to deke or dazzle the keeper at any time.

Similarly, Cinemaware has brought their ponderous aiming 'meter' from their half court basketball disaster to TV Sports Hockey. Rather than use the control pad to aim your shots, simply wait until the meter going back and forth in the opposition net is near one post or the other, and fire away, hoping for the best. And remember to shoot with the pass button, thatís important. But you knew that, right? Needless to say, shooting in this game is a joke.

But it gets worse. Trying to make solo end-to-end rushes is often your best bet because passing is so poor. Either your lame attempts at puck distribution are broken up by the opposition, or your pass will be a shot at the boards, or else you will manage to find one of your guys, only heíll be miles offside. He wonít be doing anything there on the wrong side of centre, but I guarantee heíll be there, nine times out of ten, cherry-picking as if he doesnít know the rules.

And perhaps thatís just it. Maybe Cinemaware didnít know the game of hockey very well at all.

And there's more proof to that end: the computer-controlled goaltender almost never holds the puck for a face-off. This idiotic programming flaw is probably the developers' way of avoiding face-offs, as they must realize how bad those sequences are, what with the galloping, offensive, upsetting organ tones, and lazy close-ups. Anyway, perhaps they fancy that it is soccer going on again, and not hockey, and that the goalies should always send the puck back into play. Unbelievably, I have set two forwards hard to the net after a shot on goal to force their goalie to freeze the puck, only to have the fool try to fire it through both my guys and back into play. I might have capitalized on these tremendous blunders, but my aim was thrown off by an obscured aiming meter. Truly laughable.

Bloody hell. Why must we be cursed with seeing some gap-toothed grinning brute with the nickname 'Smiley' as his proper name, appear to greet us when beginning games? I have never seen a commentator who looks like this. Worse yet, he makes relentless reappearances throughout the game to 'announce' penalties. Charging Sweden and thatís it. We have no idea of whoís in the box exactly, for how long, and when theyíre due to return.

Woof woof. Boo. Boo. These are your sound effects. They are in cohorts with the galloping organ to create absolute loathing in the player. I can barely ridicule the game at this point, after soaking in too many 'sights and sounds', and I certainly would not have written this review after eating.

Forget about statistics. Forget about calling your players by name. Forget about thunderous body checking, injuries, team analysis, different game modes, trades, and line juggling. Forget speed, intensity, excitement. This is TV Sports Hockey - donít forget to laugh.

This game is an absolute abomination. If you only own a Turbografx-16 (however unlikely that is) and want a hockey game, youíd do better with the overtly comedic Hit the Ice, or better still - buy a Genesis and pick up NHL Hockey í94. Donít be stuck with this for any amount of time.

Masters's avatar
Staff review by Marc Golding (December 10, 2003)

More Reviews by Marc Golding
Galak-Z: The Dimensional (PlayStation 4) artwork
Galak-Z: The Dimensional (PlayStation 4)

Galak-Z manifests a devastating combination: itís equal parts roguelike and relentlessly generic.
Velocibox (PlayStation 4) artwork
Velocibox (PlayStation 4)

Cruel and unusual punishment.
Submerged (PlayStation 4) artwork
Submerged (PlayStation 4)

So much more could have been done with Submerged. Calling the failing here tragic barely qualifies as hyperbole.

If you enjoyed this TV Sports Hockey review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Advertise | Sponsor a Guide | Links

© 1998-2015 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. TV Sports Hockey is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to TV Sports Hockey, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.