Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: More than a Feeling (PC) artwork

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: More than a Feeling (PC) review

"Donít Look Back"

Marvelís Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Under Pressure has a stupid name. They all do; this becomes apparent each time I have to sit down and type these ludicrous titles out. But the second episode was an improvement on its opening act, doing away with fiddly epic battles and relying on the strength of its cast to carry the game. It offered glimpses into the past of Rocket, king of snark, liker of none, while continuing to further its own tale. The Guardians have found themselves in possession of a powerful artefact that can help them reclaim many things theyíve lost or, should it fall into the wrong hands, doom the world. You know, that old chestnut.

Marvelís Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - More Than a Feeling continues a lot of trends. Its title remains ridiculous. Seriously, look at it! It plucks an iconic song from the seventies, then doesnít use it or any other music from the artist responsible (sorry, Boston). Itís also an improvement on its predecessor in many ways, because of how comfortable it is to let the likability and strength of its cast become the main driving point of its narrative.

While the second episode tried to explain how Rocket came to hide behind his wall of hatred, the third focuses on Gamora and her on-again-off-again desire to patch things up with her adopted sister, Nebula. Though Gamora often speaks about wanting to reconnect, putting the two together brings out the worst in both of them, and any aspiration to patch things up is lost to all the snarling and death threats. Rather than just wallow in the present, the story goes back to a time when the two were clearly close and explores the moment when a rift was forced between them. You can use your newfound knowledge to try to nurture some understanding between the two, or instead attempt to fracture the pairing forever.

Itís an involving narrative to be a part of, and any interactions or decisions you make ultimately come down to how much empathy you have with either side. Rocketís tale is cemented in the past, not giving you a lot of options for resolution in the now, but Gamora and Nebula are right there, clearly hurting but unwilling to be the first one to bend. Even if you go in with the best of intentions, thereís no guarantee everything will turn out to be chocolate rainbows and gumdrop smiles. This is a Telltale game after all; they do enjoy the whole misery thing.

But itís also a Guardians of the Galaxy game, and in its third appearance, really seems to be hitting all the things weíd expect from that. That includes gratuitous scenes that openly exist only so it can shoehorn in a nostalgic track (that still has nothing to do with the gameís subtitle single, for reasons that continue to bug me), and those moments feature genuinely well-written comedy. Drax is a one-liner machine, and interacting with him remains a highlight, meshing together his kind of stubborn naivety with moments of disquieting snatches of sorrow and loss. Thereís an early moment with Gamora when you can act like a pompous arse or try to be a caring and understanding friend, but youíll take neither of these options, because the remaining choice is slap fight. And youíd need a heart of stone to pass up any direction that clearly leads to a slap fight.

But some choices are less clear. While Iím aware this is an episodic Telltale game and the majority of my choices are little more than window dressing that lead me to the pre-established conclusion, thereís a moment near the end of the chapter that I truly struggled with. I think the game knew what kind of magnitude it had, because, for once, it didnít have a timer ticking down, rushing me towards a decision. So, for several minutes, I sat there, staring at the screen, willing myself to go the way I wanted to, and trying to drown out the little inner voice screaming out the reasons why it was an awful, awful idea. I donít know if the direction I went with was correct, or if it even makes that much of a difference. But I do know that Iím impatient for the next episode to drop so I can find out.

EmP's avatar
Staff review by Gary Hartley (September 05, 2017)

Gary Hartley arbitrarily arrives, leaves a review for a game no one has heard of, then retreats to his 17th century castle in rural England to feed whatever lives in the moat and complain about you.

More Reviews by Gary Hartley [+]
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: Who Needs You (PC) artwork
JYDGE (PC) artwork
JYDGE (PC)

Jydgement Day
Yesterday (PC) artwork
Yesterday (PC)

Yesterday Ends Too Soon

If you enjoyed this Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: More than a Feeling review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

© 1998-2017 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: More than a Feeling is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: More than a Feeling, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.