Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES) artwork

Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES) review

"Presumably youíre not reading this review because youíre getting ready to open a new copy of Little Nemo to play on your brand new NES. I have to figure instead that you have an emulator and may have been wondering whether thereís anything good about a game featuring a little boy in his pajamas. The answer is a definite ďyes.Ē"

Emulation has changed the way we experience old titles. Some would say for the better, and Iím not sure theyíre wrong. Save states, in particular, have the ability to solve one of early gamingís biggest problems: having to beat a game in one sitting. Iím not a huge proponent of using save states to muck around in a boss fight or to reload every time I die (my introduction to save states was a friend in college who used them in FF Tactics to make sure every one of his attacks hit, and it struck me as incredibly cheap). But using them to set reasonable checkpoints sometimes takes games which were exhausting to play and brings out their best qualities.

Enter Little Nemo: Dream Master, a game that tortured me in my youth by being annoying enough to frustrate the hell out of me, but also fun enough that I continued to come back to it. The concept had a lot to do with this. Nemo takes a platforming foundation and then puts the emphasis on exploration rather than on linear completion. It isnít about running from right to left until you get to the end of a stage, instead itís about climbing into the sky, burrowing underground, sneaking through hidden passages, and generally scouring the level for the keys youíll need to unlock the exit. To do this, you have to enlist the aid of several animals hidden around a stage. By feeding them candy, Nemo can, um, merge with them to become an animal-human hybrid. Sometimes it makes a surreal kind of sense, like Nemo riding on the back of a giant ape and directing it to punch enemies out of the sky or climb trees. Other times, not so much; like when Nemo straight up steals a beeís skin, wearing it to give him the power of flight and aerial attacks. Doesnít matter, though, everyone knows the bee is frigginí awesome.

Finding the keys always requires finding new animals first, and switching to them to use their powers, then switching back to Nemo at the right time, turning stages into dilemmas started whenever you spot a key. Yeah, you can see that key, itís right there just out of your reach, how are you going to get it? Solving that puzzle is the fun of Little Nemo. Itís a concept that would much later be repeated in games that received infinitely more attention, like Super Mario 64. It might not have 3D graphics, but Little Nemo still thinks about level design three-dimensionally.

Little Nemo: The Dream Master asset

All the evidence you need to know itís working is to note how off-key the levels which donít follow this design feel. For instance, I guarantee you that most players have rage quit on the third level. Here, you have to ride a toy train through a bombardment of planes, hot air balloons, spikes, and--oddly enough--flying squirrels. Thereís no exploration in this stage, itís just dodging--and dying when you fail to dodge. Nemo falls apart in every way when it tries to be an action title. The controls donít support it, Nemoís subpar jumping and fighting abilities donít support it, hell, even the aesthetic doesnít support it. Nemo is a kid with blue hair in one-piece pajamas who throws candy to stun enemies while cheery music plays in the background. Itís not an image that gets you pumped up for action.

Level four recovers nicely from this. Itís a great underwater stage where you have to turn into a hermit crab to dig for buried keys and into a fish to outswim the most evil-looking tadpoles Iíve ever seen, but then those terrible checkpoints I mentioned at the beginning of the review start to come in. Level five takes place in Nemoís house. An otherwise inventive level, the problem is that any time you die, you start back at the same spot at the very beginning. At first glance, this wouldnít seem so bad. The beginning is more or less in the lower left-hand corner of the house, with keys hidden above you in the attic, scattered to the right past some stairs, and even below you in the basement. Seems like a good area to branch out and do some exploring. The problem is that the keys above you require the bee to reach. The bee is in the basement, but to get there you have to get the lizard, which is up the stairs. But Nemo canít climb the stairs without the help of the frog, which requires a little side trip to pick up. The first time you go through this hierarchy of animals, itís entertaining because youíre picking up keys along the way. But letís say you get the bee and then die on your way to the attic. A fair game would send you back maybe to where you got the lizard or, at worst, the frog. But because thereís only one checkpoint in the house, you have to start all the way back at the start and pass the same trials and areas over and over again until you can basically do a flawless run of the house.

This sudden emphasis on doing things the right way and doing them the right way in one run damages the non-linearity the game establishes up to this point. Exploration is about trying things and taking risks. When you know that taking a risk could send you back to the very beginning of a level, you stop taking them. And when you know that thereís a specific order you have to do things, in order to beat a stage, you stop feeling like youíre exploring. A zig-zag is still a line, no matter many how many times it doubles back on itself.

Little Nemo: The Dream Master asset

Things continue to deteriorate as you get further along, culminating in the Nightmare Realm, which is really three very long levels broken up by the gameís only boss fights. Here, Capcom incorporates the terrible idea of sending you all the way back to the first Nightmare level when you get a game over. I call it terrible because nowhere else in the game is there a set of levels slapped together like this, without checkpoints you can continue from. Itís an unwelcome endurance run, even more so back when I was a child and fatigued at this point. Turning off my NES and giving up meant starting all the way back on the Mushroom Forest the next time I playedÖ yet more often than not, thatís exactly what I did.

The end result of all of this is that I know three levels of Little Nemo as well as any of my childhood playgrounds. I explored every inch of the Mushroom Forest and climbed to the greatest heights of the Flower Gardens. I can describe in detail the sunken ship and coral reefs of the Night Sea. And thatís where Little Nemo ends for me. I have beaten the game, numerous times, but never without the help of game genie. Itís not the hardest game in the NES catalog, not by far. I couldíve taken the time to sat down and beaten it legitimately. But the charm that wouldíve made me want to spend that much time with the game ends in level four. After climbing out of the Night Sea, itís an action game that doesnít control as well as Contra or Battle of Olympus.

Presumably youíre not reading this review because youíre getting ready to open a new copy of Little Nemo to play on your brand new NES. I have to figure instead that you have an emulator and may have been wondering whether thereís anything good about a game featuring a little boy in his pajamas. The answer is a definite ďyes.Ē Little Nemo can be thought of as an early Banjo Kazooie in many ways that are positive and most of its faults disappear with use of save states. Itís just a shame that we didnít have them during my childhood, to smooth out some of gamingís rougher edges.

zippdementia's avatar
Community review by zippdementia (February 18, 2013)

Zipp has spent most of his life standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox there. Sometimes he writes reviews and puts them in the mailbox.

More Reviews by zippdementia
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) artwork
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Mario Kart 8 is fun. It creates a racing experience that is fast-paced and full of adrenaline, while still retaining that classic Mario Kart zaniness. And thatís important, because somewhere in the last few years, the series felt like it was losing its sense of identity.
The Last of Us (PlayStation 3) artwork
The Last of Us (PlayStation 3)

Instead, Joelís personal motives are called into question. As his protection of Ellie becomes more and more desperate, the astute gamer will not be able to escape wondering whether Joel is trying to replace his own lost family with this little girlóleading her into an unbalanced emotional reliance in the process.
Tomb Raider (PlayStation 3) artwork
Tomb Raider (PlayStation 3)

Itís impressive to see Tomb Raider go from setting up frightening encounters with wolves, to getting your blood pumping right before a shoot out, to giving your trigger-finger a break and making you get cerebral with a puzzle or two.

If you enjoyed this Little Nemo: The Dream Master review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!