foe_en_s4_b22.jpg

Try Not to Fart (Xbox 360) artwork

Try Not to Fart (Xbox 360) review

"When button icons appear, you need to press and hold the button or buttons indicated until the icons start to flash, at which point you need to release them. If you press the wrong button, youíll sneak a fart that lasts until you release that button. If you fail to release a given button in time, thereís also a small penalty. The same is true if you donít swiftly enough press any button at all."

If youíve ever purchased or downloaded a game entirely because it sounded too ridiculous to be real, then you can probably understand why I purchased Try Not to Fart. My moment of weakness was aided both by the fact that I never quite grew out of that phase in my life where farts have the potential to be amusing, and by the gameís low cost. I told myself that the end product couldnít be all bad, even if it wasnít especially good. At worst, I was out a dollarís worth of Microsoft Points.

Iím pleased to report that Try Not to Fart exceeded my low expectations. No, itís not a game that is headed toward wide recognition, but most of us have 80 or more Microsoft Points languishing on our Xbox Live accounts, a remainder that was left over after we purchased something totally serious and hardcore. Indie titles are a great way to spend those points, and independent developers who are willing to take a few risks definitely deserve some attention. Thatís especially true in this particular case, because the lowbrow concept is mined for nearly its entire potential and yet the core game is potentially worth a look even if youíre not drawn to the experience by the flatulence angle.

Try Not to Fart asset

Try Not to Fart features a standard Story mode and a Hardcore setting that unlocks if you complete the Story campaign. That main campaign begins with a man standing at a bar, next to an attractive lady he hopes to woo. His problem is that he farts a lot. If heís going to get this lady to agree to a proper date, heíll need to hold in the noxious gas that wants so desperately to issue forth from his hind quarters.

The game plays a bit like a modified version of Twister, but youíll use your fingers instead of your arms and legs. A diagram with room for the Xbox 360ís four face buttons appears on-screen, along with four boxes that conveniently represent the L and R buttons and triggers. When button icons appear, you need to press and hold the button or buttons indicated until the icons start to flash, at which point you need to release them. If you press the wrong button, youíll sneak a fart that lasts until you release that button. If you fail to release a given button in time, thereís also a small penalty. The same is true if you donít swiftly enough press any button at all.

Try Not to Fart asset

Any time you make an error, a meter near the upper right corner of the screen begins to drain and more noxious vapors begin to populate the bottom half of the screen. If the meter completely empties, your lady friend will depart in a huff and the game ends. Your score up to that point is registered and you go back to the main menu. Of course, mere ďsurvivalĒ isnít enough to produce the highest scores. The game also keeps track of your combos. If you go thirty seconds without an unseemly toot, youíll receive a boost to your score, and of course the same is true as you survive through the stage.

Each level lasts two full minutes, and then you advance to the next scene. Your nameless character continues to advance through a number of high-stress situations that mimic the dating process. The initial encounter at the bar advances to a restaurant, and so it goes. Change venues often enough and eventually your character will be enjoying a first kiss, meeting the parents, and considering nuptials.

Besides the artwork, which is effective, the game also includes deadpan voice work that almost works better for its lack of emotion. There are actually some fairly clever jokes, too. Characters will recycle a number of lines specific to each scene, but thereís enough dialog that nothing repeats to a degree that feels excessive. Discussion will cease if you fart--so that your date or someone else in a particular scene can comment--and then the ďactionĒ will resume.

Try Not to Fart asset

So yes, the concept is simple and yet it somehow works. Getting through each additional scene is satisfying, and the quest for a better score is difficult to resist. My only complaint is that sometimes that button combinations do get to be a bit more demanding than seems fair, since you sometimes will be required to press all four face buttons at once and possibly a few shoulder buttons besides, then release pressure on only one or two of the buttons. A special controller would probably make the game much easier, but Iím not sure someone is going to bother with a fighting stick or whatever just to see how the stinky story concludes and Iím not even sure that the game would be improved by more polish.

As I mentioned near the start of this review, Try Not to Fart is available for a paltry 80 Microsoft Points. Youíd spend that much on a candy bar, and probably enjoy it for not quite as long. If youíre looking for something unique to trot out at parties or if you just want something different (and decidedly juvenile), I guess what Iím really saying is that you could do a lot worse. It wonít help win any ďgames as artĒ debates, but give Try Not to Fart a shot and try not to have a good time.

honestgamer's avatar
Staff review by Jason Venter (October 24, 2012)

Jason Venter founded HonestGamers in 1998, and since then has written hundreds of reviews as the site's editor-in-chief. He also is a prolific freelancer with game reviews, articles and fiction available around the Internet.

More Reviews by Jason Venter
Urbanix (Wii) artwork
Urbanix (Wii)

There's a lot of content to clear in Urbanix and the design is generally inviting, but most of the experience is similar enough that you might not appreciate the volume.
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) artwork
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

A light gun game might not seem like an ideal match for Raccoon City's horrors, but it actually works out quite nicely overall.
The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PlayStation 3) artwork
The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PlayStation 3)

Come spend 80 hours doing your best to turn a beautiful world into a messy swamp, because Metallia said so.

If you enjoyed this Try Not to Fart review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

zippdementia posted October 24, 2012:

I do at least appreciate the situational humour they wrangled out of this. Try not to fart while your baby is being delivered? That's pretty funny, even for someone like me who thinks fart humour is the lowest common denominator of comedy.