Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Wolfenstein 3D review

This thread is in response to a review for Wolfenstein 3D on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 03, 2024 (08:42 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Doh! I didn't want to do this as a staff review. Sorry, Marc. Sorry, everyone.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 07, 2024 (08:27 AM)

Ah, for a long time, I had just put all my stuff as staff and one day, Jason said there should be only one staff, so I stopped. But still probably have a few dozen, if not more, staff reviews that were the second or third of those. So no biggie. At least I never took it as such!

Good review. After playing the "meh" SNES port of this game, the main thing that struck me was how repetitive the game was, where the only really thrilling levels were the boss ones, as you just might release a boss into a level still filled with regular soldiers if you went through the wrong door at the wrong time. But other than that, it just droned on and on. But, since it was the SNES port and that system totally botched Doom, I never was sure if it was just really chopped down and butchered. And now I know that it might have been inferior, but it was at least true to the original.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 13, 2024 (10:17 AM)

No apology needed--nice review!

Man, there's 21 years between yours and mine. We're all getting so old.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 29, 2024 (10:04 AM)

?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: May 29, 2024 (11:20 PM)

Sorry, I'm notoriously bad about responding to things, especially lately.

Yeah, I feel the age setting in for sure. I'm getting to the point where even stuff that's newer in my head is considered old by young'uns these days. I mention something from early PS4 or late 3, and they're like, "Who still plays old school stuff like that?"

Old school? OLD SCHOOL? You know what's old school? Asteroids. Super Mario Bros. Hang-On. Those are old school. These kids make me feel old every time they call the Wii a retro system.

Thanks for reading!

board icon
Posted: May 29, 2024 (11:43 PM)

Rob:
I never played the SNES version, and I'm honestly afraid to. I've heard it's less of a catastrophe than SNES Doom, but that isn't much of a feat. I've taken punches to the groin that were more pleasant than SNES Doom.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 14, 2024 (11:35 AM)

Yeah, SNES Wolfenstein 3D was able to vault the impossibly low bar that is SNES Doom and do so by a lot. Which still didn't make it good whatsoever, but at least it wasn't comically inept.

SNES Doom is so bad that we need an old-timey comedian here to generate a never-ending stream of "It's so bad that..." jokes to do justice to just how bad it is.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.