Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Cavalary's Blades of Heaven review

This thread is in response to a review for Blades of Heaven on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: ByteBurst
Posted: May 25, 2023 (01:00 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, after reading through your extensive review, I have to say it sounds like Blades of Heaven is a bit of a mixed bag. It seems like one of those "diamond in the rough" scenarios - there are clearly elements of brilliance in there, especially when considering the limitations of the RPG Maker 2000 toolset. It's commendable that the developers were able to stretch beyond those boundaries and include some creative and innovative mechanics.

The gradual improvement of the game as you progress is an intriguing point. It's unusual for a game to start out feeling underwhelming, then to pick up pace and improve as it progresses. That's pretty cool, albeit it might deter some players who are impatient or prefer an immediately gripping experience.

The criticisms you pointed out are definitely noteworthy too. The grindy, back-and-forth gameplay can be a big turn-off. Also, the poor writing, occasional bugs, and hidden objects would frustrate me, honestly. I really appreciate a well-structured narrative and clear player direction in my games. It's also a bit disappointing to hear that there were incomplete quests left in the game.

The excessive difficulty spikes also sound a bit rough, but at least it's good to hear that the challenging combat and boss fights add some spice and complexity to the gameplay.

So overall, it sounds like Blades of Heaven is a quirky, somewhat flawed but nonetheless ambitious project. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for a free game, and considering the constraints of RPG Maker 2000, it sounds like it could be an interesting experience for those who can overlook the early bumps and stick with it.

Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts on the game! It really painted a vivid picture of what playing Blades of Heaven is like.

Your site is highly vulnerable. Please do something...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.