Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week May 30 - June 5

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 19, 2022 (08:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm approaching the end of my vacation--and thankfully, the end of my laundry list of chores. It's been a productive time off, even if I did spend about half of it being unproductive. Unfortunately, one of the things I wanted to complete will not be finished before I return to work. I ordered a cabinet online a while back, which I tried to assemble earlier tonight. Unfortunately, it was missing one a critical piece, and I had to reorder it on the manufacturer's website. Hopefully I'll get this done eventually...

Dementedhut - Double Dragon V ***REVIEW OF THE WEEK***
I remember renting and hating this game. Hell, if I'm being honest, the DD brand really went down hill the further into the '90s we got. DDIII was notoriously unforgiving, Super DD was forgettable at best, then came the awful movie, the TMNT-ripoff TV series, and then this... thing... I'm leaving the toys out because there were so many TMNT/Masters of the Universe/Voltron/GI Joe clones spanning the mid-'80s to the early '90s that I can't keep track of them all, and I certainly don't remember the DD toy line.

You effortless take this one apart, showing us your knowledge of how the genre works and why this one doesn't stack up to that standard. Even better, you go a step further and logically point out that its existence doesn't make sense. Who was the target audience? Beat 'em up fans? Tournament fighter fans? All three kids who watched the show? It doesn't seem to be geared towards anyone in particular.

Tailz - Shenmue II ***SECOND PLACE***
This is one of those games I'll finish eventually. It's funny because I bought Xbox specifically for this game, then bought the game, then played it all of once before getting distracted by the piles of other games I was burning my paycheck on back in the day. Oh, to have that financial irresponsibility again...

This review is quite detailed and gives anyone who would read it a good breakdown of not only what this installment has to offer, but some quick history on the series itself. There a rough patches that could use another copy edit (search for "routine"), but this is otherwise a terrific review.

Tailz - The Longest Journey
Oh man, another "I'll get to this one someday" game for me.

Anyway, I preferred your Shenmue II review over this one. I feel like it didn't benefit as much from the sectioned design (which works wonderfully for lengthy reviews, like the Shenmue one). For instance, you could've left the discussion about music out rather than indicating you don't remember it. One thing I tend to do is hit YouTube to listen to portions of the soundtrack to jog my memory.

This isn't to say this piece isn't well-written or thought out. You give great support for most of your points, and you do a fantastic job describing the game without giving too much away (at least as far as I can tell).

---

One more remaining...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: June 20, 2022 (09:14 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks for the RotW and the comments! I never intended to review DDV for the foreseeable future, but there was an opportunity coming that I couldn't pass on: the TV show was getting a blu-ray release on May 31st. I thought it would be a neat thing to release a review on its official release date. Almost didn't happen too, because I was juggling playing this and Evil Dead: The Game at the same time, and the latter took more time away at first.

Well, at least I got it out of the way like I did with Kunio no Oden. Now I can concentrate on all the other great DD games remaining.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.