Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week May 9 - 15: Now with 500% more SaGa

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 19, 2022 (03:24 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Catching up on past ROTW still. This week had two very unlikely submissions. While everyone is still chatting about Elden Ring and the like, we got an N64 game and a lesser-known portable RPG--one I've either never hard of or forgot existed.

Dementedhut - Blast Corps
Man, I forgot Rare made RC Pro Am. I always assumed that was Nintendo through and through. Anyway, I love reviews that leave you feeling like you just rented a game, and that's precisely what this one accomplishes. I'd heard of Blast Corps prior to reading this one, but I had no idea what it was about until now. Though you do a fine job of describing this game, I think it's something I would skip.

Also, there's a sentence here that uses "segues." It seemed awkward to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. It is almost 4 AM here, after all.

Dagoss - The Legend of Legacy
I will start by saying I am one of those people who will defend SaGa Frontier to the death. Anyway, as with some of your previous reviews, this one is very long, but also very much worth the lengthy stretch. I had never heard of this game before, but the history lesson really helped set the critical parts up. My only complaint is there are a few small rough patches, such as "anyway" used twice or a missing period. Otherwise, this is a stellar review of an RPG I didn't know existed.

---

The winner this week is Dagoss, who may have just talked me into dropping around $30 on a future Amazon order.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 19, 2022 (08:29 PM)

Thanks for getting to this topic, Joe, and for your work catching up on the others! You're a superstar! Also, congratulations to dagoss on a terrific review! And to dementedhut, for doing a great job covering a Rare classic. I've never been big on Blast Corps, but I bet I'd like it more now than I did back when it was new and the main thing I wanted from Rare was more stuff like Banjo-Kazooie. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 20, 2022 (03:25 AM)

Thank you! I hope to take care of the final one tomorrow night, assuming I'm not stuck at work again. I hope to put that and the rough draft for my Aggelos review to rest.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: June 20, 2022 (09:09 AM)

Thanks for the comments. Blast Corps was one of Rare's games I was most curious about about playing for a long time and I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it. I think it partly has to do with the fact that, when the N64 was ready to launch, it was one of the first games I saw in preview sections in magazines. Just sounded like a neat concept at the time. As for the segues line, I dunno. I think it sounds fine to me, but I could be wrong. Anyway, thanks!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 23, 2022 (03:42 AM)

That's a lot of percentage of SaGa for a game without SaGa in the title.

Last I checked, you could still get the Legend of Legacy launch edition with the box, art book, etc for pretty cheap. The art direction is really good, so I think it's worth it. I'm glad there's more than one SaGa apologist on this site.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 23, 2022 (08:01 AM)

I liked Legend of Legacy well enough, and remember it fondly overall (even though I didn't rate it quite as highly as you did, dagoss). That's when I recall it was Legend of Legacy that I played, not The Alliance Alive. For some reason, those two titles have a hard time standing apart in my mind, even though I put in a lot of time with one and no time at all with the other. Maybe it's because they came from (I think) the same development team and publisher in Japan, and then certainly both were published first by Atlus when they made the journey west.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 23, 2022 (04:17 PM)

Alliance Alive is indeed the same team. It was very much a reaction to the feedback and reviews for Legend of Legacy.

Alliance Alive was one of my favorite 3DS games. I've been running through the Switch port. It's on my short list to review because I think it's criminally underappreciated.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.