Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: April 11 - April 17

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 15, 2022 (12:18 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have some time on my hands, and this ROTW hasn't been done yet. Let's do this!

Snow Dragon - Worm Jazz ***REVIEW OF THE WEEK***
Puzzle game reviews are typically boring, but this one certainly isn't! You did a great job of livening up a fairly straightforward game by giving a nuanced look at what it has to offer and what it misses. The smooth jazz portion is on point because why include references to the genre and only utilize one potentially public domain song that doesn't really do it justice? And honestly, I've come to enjoy smooth jazz myself because one of my employees plays it at work and it's actually quite enjoyable if you find the right artists (as you indicated).

OD - Nemesis THIRD PLACE
You basically confirmed what I always suspected about this game: it's another dialed-back Game Boy title that feels like the a mere shadow of what the series has to offer. You did a great job of outlining the franchise without assuming the uninitiated know anything about it, first describing its core elements before jumping into the final point: this is just a mediocre shooter whose only saving grace is a detailed options menu that allows you to cut through some of the late-campaign BS. It's a good review, and yet another bit of evidence to add to the point that OG Game Boy, for the most part, hasn't aged well.

Dementedhut - Columns SECOND PLACE
I remember this game being Sega's answer to Nintendo's Tetris. Here we have another puzzler review that's most certainly not boring because it provides a little history. Also, it rightly digs at the game for missing its creator's point. It was initially intended to be a relaxing match-three piece that anyone could play and enjoy at their own leisure, and Sega tried to turn it into "not-Tetris." Sadly, it didn't work out in their favor, and this is what we're left with.

---

It was a tough call for this week because everyone took straightforward games that usually don't set anyone up for good writing material and made fantastic observations using all of them. This was an atypical week that ended up proving you can do terrific work with simple material. (I didn't proofread this because even though I have some time on my hands, I also have other stuff to do on this fine Sunday afternoon).

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 18, 2022 (08:41 AM)

Hey thanks for the mention! Columns has always been tricky for me to write for because of its concept, but it was something I wanted to tackle. As I said in one tweet, I thought it was my first review, but then I realized I did one 19 years and made a correction tweet. Whoops.

Dunno if I'll ever do a review for another Columns game. Though I'll take this opportunity to say that Stack Columns has a crazy "story" mode with a WILD ending.

Congrats to Snow Dragon with a comeback RotW review!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 19, 2022 (12:40 PM)

Yeah, congrats to Snow Dragon. Always cool to have an extreme "long time, no see" vet making a return!

Thanks for the comments on my review, as well. That was one of those games that was tough to write about due to being in that class of being fundamentally sound, but just not particularly inspiring, either for praise or bashing.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.