Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Rotw: February 21 - 27, 2022 -- I blame Elden Ring

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 18, 2022 (10:40 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Sorry for being late posting this. I was neck deep in Elden Ring and spent as little time as possible paying attention to grim events here in the real world. Between those and a few other factors, I missed noticing my topic was due. But I'm here now, with comments and rankings...

There were only two eligible reviews this week that I can see, since my own brilliant review for Balloon Pop Remix on 3DS doesn't count. This means Vacant places third by default, with Joe and overdrive left to fight over the top two spots!

Runner Up: Out There Somewhere (PC) by JoeTheDestroyer

This review was a bit rougher throughout than I'm used to seeing from you, though that occasional lack of polish doens't prevent you from giving it a strong write-up that makes me feel almost as if I have played (and enjoyed) it. A few examples: The last sentence in your first paragraph contains a comma splice. The first sentence seems to be missing some words necessary to state what I think you actually mean. Your previous paragraph talked about how you thought it was a point-and-click adventure, so how could you "once again" get it in your head that it was a pathfinder like Metroid? I think you meant to say that you once again built a mental image in your mind of what the game might be that again proved wrong. Your next sentence begins with "That's basically meets..." and I'm pretty sure you can see the problem there.

Review of the Week: Darksiders III (PlayStation 4) by overdrive

This was an interesting review, made more interesting still by the fact I'm playing Elden Ring at the moment. So the comparisons definitely clicked for me. I had read that Darksiders III took a different approach than its two predecessors, and your text did a great job of explaining what's different while also showing how the end result is inferior to the game's various/obvious sources of inspiration. Great stuff!

Thanks to both of you for contributing, and apologies for taking so long to get to this! It'll be my turn for another topic almost before I know it at this rate!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 21, 2022 (03:47 AM)

I was neck deep in Elden Ring and spent as little time as possible paying attention to grim events here in the real world.

You know things are bad if the world of Elden Ring is more pleasant than the real world!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 29, 2022 (03:21 PM)

Thanks for the win and comments. My life goal is to be able to blame all my issues on Elden Ring in the near future, regardless of whether it's the current-gen or the current-to-me-gen version (since the main difference being that I have the PS4 Pro seems to be the vividness of background graphics and the duration of load times. And, well, from having a PS4 Pro for a few years, I am more than familiar with load times, so that shouldn't bother me too much!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.