Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > mariner's Metroid Dread review

This thread is in response to a review for Metroid Dread on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: November 20, 2021 (09:10 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review. How did you feel about the 2.5D? In other games that had a lot of action, 2.5D felt imprecise and unfair. Does it get in the way here?

I love Metroid, but outside of the first game, I think most of them are very linear with a set order for the main upgrades, with the illusion of being nonlinear. Sequence breaking usually requires uses a glitch or an aability in an unintended way.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: November 24, 2021 (01:36 PM)

there is no hand holding, the game is fair enough that most people can feel the sense of accomplishment that comes with overcoming the obstacles themselves, and the game has a high skill ceiling with intrinsic coolness for those that want more

That's one historical virtue of Nintendo games, and one I prize the most among their set of historical virtues.

Where they haven't done that, and focused only upon the mid-to-bottom tier players, they lost me, and quite some of my respect: unfortunately they have done this a lot of times over the last two decades.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

board icon
Author: mariner
Posted: November 24, 2021 (03:07 PM)

I didn't really have a problem with the 2.5D. It felt pretty natural, and I never blamed the controls for my failings. I'm not into the whole shinespark puzzle thing though, so maybe it doesn't work well there since precision is required. Can't tell you one way or another with that part of the game.

As for the nonlinearity, Super Metroid definitely has gates to progress in a specific order, but the game feels very open and not always clear what order to go in. If you don't know what you're doing, you're going to feel lost. And there are lots of surprising shortcuts or new paths opening up to you as you go along. That is what Dread is missing, although again, I think it's fine that it misses it.

And yeah, I like this type of difficulty best. It's so much more natural than the "Easy Normal Hard" settings you get. OK, so Dread has a hard mode too, but whatever. I was playing one of the throwback Bloodstained games recently, and it was frustratingly annoying. So tried the easy mode, but then it was frustratingly boring. Getting difficulty just right is, well, difficult, but this game nails it.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.