Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 8th -- 14th November // No modern games allowed. Kind of.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 17, 2021 (11:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

THIRD - Soccer Kid [3DO] VGC2000

For a game that was released over a slew of consoles, Soccer Kid remained pretty obscure. Point in case: I know of its existence, but I’ve never played it. VGC’s review is pretty sparse, but still contains enough details for me to know what I’ve been missing out on.

SECOND - Gynoug [Switch] Honestgamer

This review is relevant to my interests. Wor was one of the first games I ever put any real time in back when I was first establishing myself in the world of emulation (fuelled by my embittered hatred of the countless games released outside PAL before that stopped existing). As such, this review speaks to me, because it’s very much more about the re-release and what it has to offer rather than the game itself. There’s some good lines in here (the one about no longer having the necessary twitch skills hurts me), while the following line might need to be looked at as it could be read as having a meaning different from what’s intended:

This approach is welcome, because it lets you decide just how much you want to wuss out while playing (or if you want to at all).

I suspect you’re suggesting you may not want to wuss out, but I initially read it as you may not want to play it at all. I think what holds this review back from taking this week’s crown is an unfortunate side effect of the type of release you’ve taken on, in that so much attention is afforded to the modernisation efforts, and not a lot to the game itself. Personally, though, I really appreciate this review. I hope the game thrives in its second chance at life.

FIRST -

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 18, 2021 (09:53 AM)

My lack of self-awareness has been one of my most consistent qualities over the course of my life. Which, looking at it, is a pretty self-aware sentence, so I've confused myself and now am living in a paradox.

Thanks for the win. I agree with your sentiment about Jason's review that it's good to see Gynoug getting a second lease on life and I hope it finds success. I have an affinity for that game because of its weird Hellraiser-style vibes. I've even reviewed it twice: An initial review and then I created a contest to rewrite an older review to make it better simply because I wanted to play the game again and try for a tighter review and figured I'd turn that into something fun (or "fun...") for the site.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 18, 2021 (03:15 PM)

Thank you for the kind comments, EmP, even though I'm fairly certain Overdrive wishes he and I could change rankings so he'll have a better chance at setting an unbeatable record for number of second-place wins.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.