Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 1st -- 7th November// EmP is secretly very mean and also formats dates incorrectly

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 08, 2021 (10:50 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, we are through October and now review submissions have slowed again to their former pace. EmP tells me it's my turn to judge, so here we go!

---

Golden Axe (Genesis) by overdrive

This review suffers from dull subject matter, which meant it wasn't a lot of fun to read even though it was well written. Aside from your tendency to rely on sentence fragments a bit more than I liked, I would say it was written more cleanly than any of its competition during this one-week period. You included a few witty remarks, particularly in the section devoted to luring enemies into pits, and I definitely get a feel for how the game plays. I recall trying it myself in one retro compilation or another and quickly moving onto the next game. Golden Axe isn't really the sort of game that inspires interest in a world that has given us so many more options...

Case #9 (PC) by JoeTheDestroyer

This game sounds more like an escape room title than a horror title, based on your review. I really liked this line: "Imagine a slasher where the killer chases after the cast with a feather duster." It sounds like my kind of thriller, to be perfectly honest, but the jump scares don't really seem up my alley. Based on what you wrote, I have a hard time figuring out who the target audience might have been. It sounds like the developers had some okay ideas, but got bored before they could spend the energy to execute them properly. I think I can live with knowing I'll never get to play it.

Third Place: Dadish (Switch) by mariner

There were a few minor errors throughout your review (a comma with spaces on both sides and "beyone" when you meant "beyond," to cite two examples out of several), but it was for the most part a smooth read that broke down a non-essential game while keeping my interest with authoritative but approachable style. I liked it. At the end, I'm not sure the "big fish in a small pond" thing makes sense, as your review up to that point has made it sound like a small fish in a big pond. Ultimately, you've made this game sound like a nice use for $2 and an hour or two of my time, so if I wind up playing it at some point (and I might), I'll have you to blame!

Runner Up: Kathy Rain: Director's Cut (PC) by EmP

I liked this review, aside from a minor couple of grammatical errors or thereabouts, but this sentence thoroughly confused me: "This is highlighted by the fact that, though heavily discounted for original owners, it’s still a necessary purchase." Do you have to buy the original game in order to get the new one as an expansion? That's what it kind of sounds like. The whole little segment around that point could use further refinement. Such nitpicks aside, this is a strong review that does a good job of selling the game without breaking out a ton of spoilers. You've definitely made it sound like a neat game. Sadly, I have the original but (of course) not the newer version you just reviewed. Which sounds like the one I should play, if I ever get to Kathy at all. Woe is me!

Review of the Week: Bubble Ghost (Game Boy) by dagoss

You have made me want to track down a cartridge and play Bubble Ghost, so good job there! It sounds like a delightful little way to pass the time, and your write-up was very good with only a few minor grammatical errors... which do seem to be a bit of a theme this week, so you're hardly alone on that front. I especially liked your specific references to previous versions of the game, and the way you showed that this version is superior despite the hardware's limitations. I can't imagine I'll ever read another Buggle Ghost review written in the last 10 or 15 years that feels more like it was produced with an audience of me in mind. Great stuff!

---

This was a really close week, and placement swapped about in my head for a few times before I finally settled on what you see in this post. I loved the variety of games covered and the platforms considered. Thank you, all who contributed to make this another difficult week to judge!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 09, 2021 (08:37 AM)

Th point I was trying to make was that the Director's cut is a completely separate game from the original that requires a brand new purchase, and isn't just going to be a patch or update for owners of the original. Though said owners do get a hefty 50% off the DC, even if they're one of the many, many people who picked Rain up as a free game when it was offered as such. I struggled trying to convey that concisely - clearly! - but I'll give it another go.

Props to all mentioned, and congrats to dagoss on yet another worthy win.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: November 09, 2021 (09:12 AM)

Thanks for the win on a review I obviously didn't finish in time for October. I usually try to get and upload screenshots when they're missing. Guess I got lazy with this one. It's got a cute, professional style. The ghost sprite in the computer version looks like something from the Klu Klux Klan.

So I would say Bubble Ghost is cheap, but I can't even say that any more. It's around $25, which used to be pricey for Game Boy games. Honestly the price of retro games in general is bananas and I haven't bought any in over a year (except an Everdrive). That's actually been a good thing though. In the past, I wouldn't put in the effort to find and play something like Bubble Ghost, but now I put random stuff on an Everdrive and give it a spin.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.