Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 16th -- 22nd August // The games of yesteryear. TODAY!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 23, 2021 (03:44 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

No place again for Vacant. I do hate that guy.

Now to talk about other people talking about video games.

THIRD - Space Invaders: Invincible Collection [SWH] Jason

Compilation reviews are bastards; it’s never easy to essentially write a dozen mini reviews without either bloating our world count or struggling to provide enough information on the individual titles. I think Jason leans towards the latter in this case, but this only becomes an issue during the final half of the games; the opening efforts are simplistic enough to survive this. I also thought the review was a little complaint heavy for what suddenly pans out into a glowing recommendation. Some of that was vital information - such as one of the advertised titles being currently unavailable - but it certainly does help marj this collection as a must buy. I think Jason does temper this well, though, with his introduction about how the different versions of the game will mean more to different people. Also, for those not in the know, Space Invaders Extreme is awesome.

SECOND - Galaxy Force II [GEN] Pickhut

This has been saved for my week as a punishment because I keep harping on about stuff like this in the endless 32X reviews no one asked for. Nothing will change my mind on this!

So, yeah, I really like stuff like this. Talking about not just about the worth of old games, but what they did right or, increasingly commonly, what they did wrong. I’ve also spent some considerable time talking about how post-32bit consoles struggled to replicate the popular arcade games of the day. As in, they didn’t and tried to recreate gold statues using mashed potatoes. I think talking about this with this review is the best possible thing you could have done, because it would have been easy to just point out that this isn’t a good game, poke a it of fun and call it a day, but it gave you the chance to talk about why there’s a very good version of this title, and why he home consoles had no chance of replicating it.

You’re docked points because, if you’re going to insist on changing your bio to make a blurb for your most recent review, you can at least try to stay current!

FIRST - Dragon Age II [360] Overdrive

46 minutes I have in this game. I went back and checked. I played 46 minutes, decided to shelve it and come back to it later, then forgot it ever existed. I’ve never so much as glanced at another Dragon Age game since. I regret nothing.

I like the structure of this review. Props, first off, for running a “Let’s talk about me!” spiel that’s actually relevant. Everything should have an easy setting is a popular subject at the moment, but I like that you’ve accidentally entered it from a different angle. Not “this game is too hard!” but “this game is awful and I want to get through it quicker!” I think you do a good job building it up as an interesting tale marred by an uninteresting slog of an actual game. Nice screen captures, too.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 23, 2021 (11:08 PM)

The Genesis version of Galaxy Force II has been something I've been meaning to review for some time, but only got around to doing it now. I think my first memory playing this port left me feeling... nothing. Like it was such a nothing version of the impressive arcade game. I think even the Master System port had more heart in spite of similar flaws. I've said this before elsewhere, but if anyone wants a solid version of the arcade game at home, the Sega 3D Classics version (made by M2) on the 3DS is highly recommended. Just don't be surprised that your fingers cramp up pressing so many buttons at once.

Thanks for the placement and comments! You're right in that I'm behind with my usual commentary; job got me distracted and finally finished my 6-day work week. Haven't even made a Twitter post about the review as of this writing!

Congrats to OD on the RotW, too!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 27, 2021 (11:47 AM)

Thanks for the win! I blame myself for being a completionist for any series I get into. I really like Dragon Age Origins and wanted to play Inquisition, so that mean I HAD to play this game. And so I bought it. And it set in my Backlog Box for a few years. And then I bought Inquisition. And because of that, I felt the compulsion to play Dragon Age II. And so I did. At least I got an RotW out of the experience, so I can say it was rewarding, at least to a degree!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.