Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > mariner's Octopath Traveler review

This thread is in response to a review for Octopath Traveler on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 21, 2021 (07:10 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm about 15 hours into this game, and I'm impressed by just how well made it is. I really liked your "don't mistake personal preferences as design flaws" point because it feels so true about this game. There are some things that I want to change, but I have yet to encounter something that felt half-baked or accidental. It's a very careful and well-made game.

Are there any particular character lines that you enjoyed more than others? I've done five chapter 1's and two chapter 2's. I picked H'aanit as my main. I do like the smaller-scope storytelling, but I do lament that that each story feels so isolated and gated. (Something small like removing the waypoints from the map so I could stumble upon each chapter instead would have gone a long way to making chapters feel natural)

Really digging the combat though. The sound and animation when you break an enemy is so satisfying!

I'll probably end up seeing this one to the end. RIP my backlog :/

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.