Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 24th - 30th MAY //

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 01, 2021 (10:24 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have a hold over review for Tokyo Xanadu eX+, but feel I’m past the point of making sly digs at Rob’s chances of remembering it, because he’s been on a huge run of not forgetting. This is both excellent and aggravating.

Here there be reviews.

THIRD - WonderBoy: The Dragon’s Trap [XB1] Brian

There’s some uncharacteristically choppy sentences in here that feel like they’re either missing a word or not quite getting to the point. I think you also spend more time talking about the game then you do talking about it. What you do talk about is interesting enough, but when you do talk about the game proper, you seem to make the same points differently phrased. But I think some good points are raised, like talking about how, perhaps, not all fondly remembered games are going to age well enough to get the remake treatment

SECOND - Dr. Mario [GB] Dagoss

There’s a few awkward sentences and the occasional grammar hiccup in the early going of this review, but I’ve really enjoyed Dagoss’ formula since his dramatic comeback, and this review is no different. I’m not massively interested in the Mario trivia, because I’m part of the 5% of this site that isn’t an unapologetic Nintendohead, but the idea that this was a game initial developed with no attachment to everyone else’s favourite mascot, and then he was just snuck in somewhere along the line is very 1st generation Nintendo. Fact drops like this and the notes about the shared release across platforms are forever interesting to me.

I think making and sticking with the obvious Tetris comparison is pretty much the only direction you could take. I liked the line about how you probably prefer Dr Mario because it’s more puzzle and less twitch because, not only does it justify your overall thesis, but allows potential players to place themselves on the same curve and judge how much they might enjoy this game based on how well they coped with Tetris’ late game twitch rush.

FIRST - RogueJack: Roguelike Blackjack [PC] Pickhut

What a ridiculous title. You were wise to mock it early and get that out of the way. You had another good line in there as well, about never having lived until a hobgoblin attacks you with a ten of spades. From there, I think you do really well to explain what could have been a tricky thing to explain, and do so succinctly. It all hinges around one point well made; rogues are more or less gambling, anyway, so basing it around undisguised gambling should work pretty well in theory. And it does! All is well.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 01, 2021 (12:01 PM)

Definitely love seeing the coverage dagoss continues to give to games that time is slowly forgetting. I need to go back and do more of that myself. As for unapologetic Nintendoheads on the site, I think the number and percentage are lower than you suppose (at least among those actively contributing new reviews).

Thanks for the timely topic and the comments on the reviews. Congrats once again to pickhut, who is at the top of his game and may well earn this year's crown. And thanks to Brian for another review. These are all familiar names by now, but that does nothing to diminish how welcome their continued contributions are! I hope to toss my own name back in the ring soon, as I am uncharacteristically close to being "caught up" with the other stuff that has been keeping me busy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 02, 2021 (03:11 AM)

Thanks for the nice words. It's good to see that my recent reviews are not entirely boring. I'm glad to be able to contribute still to this site. I have fond memories years ago when there were lots of new reviews, forum activity, contests, etc.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: June 02, 2021 (09:54 PM)

Thanks for the RotW! I originally picked the game because I thought it would be a neat little thing to review, but then noticed how the two concepts worked well together. I think that's what motivated me to explain how natural both felt as a pairing, so I'm glad the explanations didn't come off muddled to you.

Anyway, hopefully I won't wait another two months to submit another review. Guess we'll see!

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.