Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies review

This thread is in response to a review for Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 30, 2021 (04:48 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm only about 7 hours into this game, but my understanding is that there are now fan servers that you can connect to so that you can still get access to the post-game content even though the official servers are dead. This might not have been applicable when this review was written though.

I've heard the multiplayer was a lot of fun when it was still around. I take it you didn't get a chance to try it?

In contemporary reviewers on big sites, and podcasts (like Retronauts) with people that worked in the gaming press, I always hear tell of how great things like Mario Kart DS multiplayer was, how great 3DS's streetpass was, etc. I have never in my life encountered a single other human people with a DS or with streetpass active. I guess you have to live in Japan or go to TGS or something to have these fabled multiplayer experiences.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 31, 2021 (12:45 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

No, never got the chance to do any of the multi-player stuff or anything that involved linking or anything like that. Wish I'd known about the fan servers when I was playing it, but alas, I can't imagine me going back to this one. It's a solid game, but probably in my bottom half of Dragon Quest games as far as the overall package. Definitely below 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 11 for sure. I will give it credit for one thing, though: Having the character Jack o' AllTrades turn into Master of Nu'un is the single best pun this series has ever come up with.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2021 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.