Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Super Mario 64 DS review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Mario 64 DS on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 27, 2021 (05:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I just started this game and I'm having lot of trouble understanding how I feel about it. I love the original game, so seeing all the new features here is a lot of fun. Playing as Yoshi is great, and all the random tweaks and new stars make it feel fresh again.

The controls are just dreadful though. There are parts that I just dread to play that should be easy, like the races with Loops the Quick, which were way harder here than they were on an N64 controller. The D pad on my DSi is just not good for this. The stylus hybrid option is probably the least terrible. The problem is how the center point where you tap the screen drifts with the stylus instead of staying fixed, so you'll eventually end up walking. Flying is basically impossible.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 31, 2021 (12:48 PM)

Guh, the controls on that port just ruined the game. I HATED all the areas where precision was needed. When it came to star-collecting to access places, I forced myself to get all of them in the more "laid-back" worlds and did the bare minimum in the more platform-intensive ones.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: April 01, 2021 (08:25 AM)

Yeah, I'm about 60 stars in and am just starting to feel like I have a handle on the control. It seems like (in general) platforms have been made larger or there are some safety net platforms to mitigate some of the issues. I'm almost exclusively using the two-hand controls (one hand on the control pad, which jumps/attacks, and then the stylus is for movement) and sometimes I feel confident. Then another stupid death.

It's overall such a confusing and mixed bag. Being able to snap the camera behind you (a la Ocarina of Time): great. New stars: great. Playing as different characters: great. New areas: wonderful! Loosing the race with Koopa the Quick because the camera and stylus send you hurling down the mountain: gross. I haven't done any stars in Rainbow ride yet. I might just not go into that course.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.