Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: 7th - 13th DEC

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: January 02, 2021 (07:18 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a special week. Five reviews, all by strong, experienced reviewers. Along with mainstays Joe, Gary and Rob, two old pros make a return: every-now-and-then juggernaut mariner, and the legendary 'you might see me once annually jerec.'

mariner's review of Blaster Master 2 is very good: he manages to compare this sequel with the title which came before it in a fashion that tells you about both games and shows not simply why this game is better, but why it's a great game -- the latter point being something that is often missed in compare and contrast writings.

Rob's Mafia II is right on the money. Sharp analysis and good flow are evident in a rundown of a third person shooter that's fun but looks like it's going to be so much more and then... isn't. He's even-handed in how he deals with a title that appeared to promise him more, and didn't deliver on that promise, but falling short, still provided a good time.

And then jerec reviewed a visual novel. For whatever reason, I wasn't expecting this. I expected even less that he'd like it as much as he did. He walks the VN review tightrope quite well, of giving us enough information to interest us in the game, without giving the story away. It's tough to do the 'no spoiler' thing with a game that's all story without seemingly saying nothing, and jerec nails it. That said, we've got a tough field this time out and a VN on most weeks isn't enough meat to work with.

Joe covered an extremely dark and disturbing horror title, Bad Dream: Coma, with an awesome, unique aesthetic and did well to make the reader want to play -- or stay away -- depending on his or her sensibilities. The review read smoothly and Joe's knack for picking the right examples to show rather than tell about the game and what he thinks of it was on full display here. We know puzzles start to get obtuse and that the game is only scary when you play it mean but it's still worth a play.

Finally, Gary reviews The Quiet Man, which seems weird and... bad. We can relate with Gary's exasperation given how random and senseless the game is as he breaks things down in clever fashion and invites us to both laugh and shake our heads with him. The only trouble is, because the game doesn't make sense, sometimes his presentation of the randomness is hard to follow.

In the end, this could have been a podium chosen nearly at random. Five good reviews by five good reviewers with little between them. I'd say mariner was neck-and-neck with Gary, and jerec was a step or two behind only due to his subject matter. All of that being said, here's what I went with:

THE PODIUM

THIRD PLACE
The Quiet Man by Gary

SECOND PLACE
Bad Dream: Coma by Joe

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Mafia II by Rob

That's it for now.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 02, 2021 (07:50 PM)

Thanks Masters! Glad to know my approach is working. I remember seeing the other reviews posted that week, and I knew I wasn't making the top 3. Not that I'm writing these for recognition or prestige or anything. Usually just to get my thoughts out.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 03, 2021 (05:50 AM)

One of the worst games I've ever played, that Quiet Man. I'm just glad I never have to think about it ever again.

You've put a hell of a shift in there, Marc. Thanks for getting through the backlog - 2020 is finally clear for you. Really strong week, so props to Rob on rehashing the Mafia II review I wrote years ago making a strong case on a game that should have been better. I know giving it the win will sting for Marc, because he loves that game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 12, 2021 (03:13 AM)

Thank you for the topic, and the placement!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.