Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom review

This thread is in response to a review for Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom on the Genesis. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 09, 2019 (01:16 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Another one of those games I've started a couple times but never got around to finishing. I think your review does a good job of getting to the heart of why that is, bringing up the slow, generic start to things, how it takes until the third generation to get to the cool PS-style stuff and all the damn backtracking for large chunks of the game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 10, 2019 (03:32 AM)

Thank you! I found the third one to be the easiest to finish, but the most tiring. It's just so run of the mill in comparison to the rest of the series. I initially planned to play all of the scenarios, but I couldn't bring myself to spend another twenty-something hours playing this.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: CptRetroBlue
Posted: September 11, 2019 (07:32 PM)

I agree the concept and the bizarre change that this game drastically set apart from its previous entries (and its sequel,) the game felt TOO big to be in a sole 16-bit cartridge and it shows, being that it feels incomplete as well. Even when the whole generations scenario promises multiple experiences, it feels linear anyway. Perhaps SEGA could had done this as a spinoff than a sequel, but it is appreciated that after the very depressing setting left at part 2, there was some hope for those that survived its cataclysmic event. I may be dreaming, but I hope one day SEGA can redo this game in any way.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 12, 2019 (10:35 AM)

From what I gather, it's not really worth it to play all the scenarios, if for no other reason than how only one of the four endings is notably different from the rest. So, in essence, the main benefit to doing so would be having a main hero who controls differently, as well as (I think) a few plot differences depending on which wife you pick at the end of the first chapter.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 12, 2019 (12:19 PM)

You're not alone, Cpt. I was actually thinking about how a possible remake of this game, with a fully realized world and a fleshed out storyline. Mainly, it'd be great if they cut back on the backtracking, because it begins to feel like padding after a while. But if they could pull something where each generations offers significantly different content, that would be great. I think this game may have been developed decades too early.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.