Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Side Arms review

This thread is in response to a review for Side Arms on the TurboGrafx-16. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 27, 2019 (07:41 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I remember this game; you definitely liked it more than I did. I hated the short invincibility window most of all.

Great observation with the interconnected scenes. You're right: not many shooters give you that real sense of progression. Almost none that I can think of, offhand.

Did you ever play or see the arcade version? I think my familiarity with it made me more disappointed with this port. Hooking up with a pal to go back-to-back was awesome in a way that it's not when playing solo.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 27, 2019 (12:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I "saw" the arcade version from looking at it through shmups.com, as it's listed under PC Engine, but uses arcade screencaps. In that review of it, I recall them saying that to get a truly good experience, you had to adjust the board to play on the harder level. They also said that would make it so that you fought two snakes as the final boss. With how I felt about fighting the one, I don't think adding another would have made it remotely enjoyable, let alone better.

While I don't think that site really gets much (if any) updates, I'm glad it still exists. I remember using it as my main resource when it came to finding shooters I wanted to play. Just go through their picture reviews and scarf up the ROMs for any of them that looked remotely promising.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.