Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Chronus Arc review

This thread is in response to a review for Chronus Arc on the Android. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 09, 2018 (08:08 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm happy for you.

Does this mean that you will be moving on from your Kemco Khallenge now and forever? ^_^

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 13, 2018 (06:13 AM)

Ah, if only... My tablet still has so many of those damn things on it and, if anything, they are decent to play when you're just looking to zone out with something for an hour of so, so I might as well keep churning through them.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dirtsheep
Posted: August 17, 2018 (06:30 PM)

Ah. You finally came to Chronus Arc. We've talked about it. It's always been one of my favorite Kemco games too. I was afraid you might be too jaded to enjoy it. I'm glad I was wrong. Should have had more faith.

I still think, from your review, that it might have been a better experience on the 3DS...anyway, very cool.

And Masters is right...might be good to go out on a good note with these Kemco experiences :) "Mohican." Goodness.

Come on you boy child
You winner and loser
Come on you miner for truth and delusion
And shine!

board icon
Posted: August 18, 2018 (04:46 AM)

Sadly, I have a review for the far more mediocre Astral Frontier I just need to find time to write. And have started Asdivine Menace, which is a decent game...but would it have killed Exe-Create to make more than a couple nice, but minor, changes to their engine from Asdivine Dios? It feels like I'm playing the exact same game, but you can level up skills this time. And then there's about 25+ more on my tablet, so I have to keep going, no matter what it does to my sanity...

As for the tablet vs. 3DS, in a way, yes, as the superior controls would have prevented a few of those "walk too far pushing a block; restart the room" issues that only seemed to pop up during the game's toughest puzzles. On the other hand, those games seem to cost twice as much normally on the 3DS as on Android. And I got Chronus during a $.99 sale, so all things considered, I'd rather deal with touch control nuisances than spending more money!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 18, 2018 (08:10 AM)

Another consideration, though, is that 3DS games will always play on 3DS hardware. Games designed for smartphones and tablets may simply stop working when new firmware arrives. Which stinks, if you ask me!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: August 20, 2018 (07:39 AM)

That is true and I did have to deal with that once. I'd heard about Amazon Underground, where you get games and apps for free and downloaded a couple of those Kemco things, as well as KoToR (didn't have a clue if I'd like trying to play a BioWare game on my phone, but at free, the price was right for giving it a try!). And then my phone updated and anything I got from Underground stopped working, immediately crashing when I tried to open it.

But, on the other hand, when we're talking Kemco, that doesn't overly concern me. Their games are far more worthwhile at $3.99 or $4.99 (and amazingly so when I've snagged them for $.99, which hasn't happened in some time, as they've seemed to save all their sales for their trips to newer mediums such as the more modern consoles) than at the 3DS (or other system) price, which seems to be around $9.99.

And, to be honest, if my tablet and Kemco became incompatible, I'd suffer a net loss of about $25 scattered over many months of gathering. These are games I play once and dispose of and I doubt I'd feel anything by losing them all other than, "If I knew that was gonna happen, I'd have bought a few mob movies with that money!"

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 20, 2018 (09:32 AM)

I've bought a few Kemco games on my iPhone, and not on $0.99 sales. Several of them no longer work, even though I purchased them directly through Apple's store... because Apple just randomly decides to issue new firmware that makes scores of old games non-functional. Developers have to specifically go back and modify their games to make them work again, and a lot of publishers just don't bother. The Kemco games on my iPhone that don't work happen to be--as far as I can tell--all games that are available on 3DS. I wonder if Kemco is just starting to lose interest in smartphones as releasing those games on Switch, 3DS, Vita and PS4 starts to work better than it used to.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: August 20, 2018 (04:24 PM)

They might be. I haven't had that problem with Android other than the aforementioned Amazon Underground not working any more, as everything I've played on my tablet works well or at least reasonably well.

Right now, I think they're more into re-releasing their games on all those other systems you mentioned. Of their five teams, one only has released one game through them and two (WWS and Magitec) haven't done anything in a while. Hit-Point releases stuff a lot more rarely than they used to and Exe-Create's been carrying them to the degree that their recycling and corner-cutting has been really noticeable to people on the Kemco fan-site (yes, one exists) I go to. And they haven't done a new game since June. As a result, Kemco's gone from at least one new release per month to 9 in 2016, seven last year and only three so far this year. But they've had a ton of releases due to re-releases on Steam and modern consoles and handhelds. And their sales all seem to be on consoles, handhelds and Steam and not on Android/Apple now.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 20, 2018 (06:09 PM)

I'm curious: have they released a killer app for iPhone yet? I'd be interested in giving their very best effort a shot.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 11, 2023 (12:50 AM)

I just started this game, and that "mohican" bit really bugs me. I guess it's technically correct because they are rarely referred to as "Mohicans hairstyles" or just "mohicans," but almost no one calls them that and it's super distracting.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: January 12, 2023 (07:50 AM)

That's the thing about Kemco's translation teams: they'll either distract you with overly wordy dialogue where simple thoughts take a full paragraph to come out OR they'll distract you with phrasings which might be technically correct, like "mohican", but aren't actually used (or at least aren't the most common).

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.