Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale announced

This thread is in response to an article about PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 27, 2012 (02:25 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Huh. You know, I don't know that I'm as excited about this as I would be about some news on the next Smash Brothers. I guess, in my mind, Nintendo just has a more interesting line up.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 27, 2012 (04:14 PM)

Who the fuck is Fat Princess?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 27, 2012 (05:04 PM)

She's the PS All-Star answer to Kirby.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: April 27, 2012 (05:25 PM)

You've never heard of Fat Princess?

---

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: April 27, 2012 (05:38 PM)

Already seeing some undeserved personalities. Fat Princess...Killzone, ugh. These types of games are supposed to have legendary line ups.

Parappa makes up for it, though.

I wonder how the game will handle the other big franchises like MGS or Final Fantasy. Have those franchises jumped shipped too often to be proper candidates?

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: Leroux
Posted: April 27, 2012 (07:12 PM)

Nathan Drake and Sackboy seem like obvious should-have-been-announced before some of these. And I haven't bought a new game in about a year. Not exactly the best way to build hype.

board icon
Posted: April 27, 2012 (08:02 PM)

I don't think Sony has a large enough cast of iconic and beloved characters to justify a game like this, but I can think of plenty that are missing. Where's Jak and Daxter? Ratchet and Clank? Wouldn't Cole McGrath be a shoe-in for Sony's answer to Pikachu? All far more deserving of headliner status than Fat Princess and Guy From Killzone.

What bothers me about this game isn't that it's a shameless Smash Bros. rip-off, but that the people who are making it will never once acknowledge Smash Bros.' existence.

Worth noting: Until now, I never realized that Sweet Tooth was an actual dude. I thought the clown face was just Twisted Metal's logo.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 27, 2012 (10:23 PM)

My impression is that Sony has so many games that even if they also have some iconic characters amongst them, those characters' iconic-ness is heavily diluted in gamers' minds.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: April 28, 2012 (12:27 AM)

Who the fuck is Fat Princess?

Worth noting: Until now, I never realized that Sweet Tooth was an actual dude. I thought the clown face was just Twisted Metal's logo.

Dammit, Suskie, you haven't been reading my reviews!

I totally agree with the sentiments, though. I'm a pretty big supporter of Sony Playstation and yet I can't get excited about this. That's what I was saying earlier. One of the reasons Smash Brothers is great is because we all grew up with those characters. And by "we all" I literally mean any modern day gamer. I don't care how old you are now; if you're a gamer, Mario and Zelda were probably part of your childhood. There's been a Mario and Zelda game for every generation. Metroid and Kirby not as much, but still pretty prevalent. Star Fox, Metal Gear Solid, and Pokemon... check all three off the list. And then, if you're a real die hard fan, you've got Ness.

With the Sony lineup, about the only name that's even somewhat ubiquitous is Kratos and I doubt many gamers can claim him as a nostalgic character. Fat Princess has been in ONE FUCKING GAME. Sweet Tooth is famous for MURDERING people.

It's just I'd rather see all the Nintendo characters chilling out in the ring rather than Sweet Tooth fighting Sly Cooper (also confirmed for the game). I can't connect or sympathize with anyone on the PS lineup.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 28, 2012 (01:13 AM)

If anyone's ever been to Disneyworld and seen "Fantasmic" (that enormous live action stunt show that's basically a celebration of every Disney movie/character/story ever created), imagine if DreamWorks made their own version of that, and that's pretty much what this game looks like to me.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: April 28, 2012 (01:45 AM)

Meh, I think I'll pass. Sony's characters work great on their own, but together they're much too motley. I enjoy the Smash Bros. games because Nintendo's characters have not only the aforementioned nostalgia factor, but they're all pretty even in terms of game atmosphere. One game is not significantly darker than the other. To me, it's just doesn't work having Kratos in the same game with Fat Princess. Their games are far too different, and their atmospheres are practically polar opposite.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: April 28, 2012 (05:35 AM)

I'll get this if Ethan Mars is playable and you can beat your opponents by yelling "JAAAAAAAY-SOOOOOOOON"

_

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: April 28, 2012 (05:48 AM)

This would probably work better if Sony held on to their franchises across generations. How many Sony characters have appeared on all three PlayStations?

---

board icon
Posted: April 28, 2012 (09:19 AM)

Genj is right. If that happen, I will also pledge to buy it. But I will only play Ethan Mars.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 28, 2012 (01:06 PM)

Actually, I think they should make the balloon the playable character. It played a pivotal role and I bet its floating ability would come in handy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.