Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Site Announcements > The PsychoPenguin Review Extravaganza (Extra Exciting 2012 Edition)

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 02, 2012 (02:11 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

As I hope you already know, HonestGamers is a video game reviews community. We've been posting staff reviews for games dating all the way back to the Nintendo 64 era, when I first began work on the first version of the site. Our community also is built on reviews from members in its community, who have contributed nearly 3/4 of the overall review content live on the site today.

During the early years, it was difficult to find other people who would also contribute to the site, which was quite small and basic in its early years. I wrote most of the reviews myself, aside from a few that friends from Yahoo! Chat contributed. I would sometimes wander the Internet in search of other writers, and sometimes those people would contribute. It wasn't until I found GameFAQs, however, that I found a deep pool of talent from which to draw.

In the early days, there were only a few people in that community who were willing to put any effort into HonestGamers. Before I came around GameFAQs, I guess there had been a site called "Fresh Baked Games" that tried to compete and ultimately failed rather miserably. So there was a fair bit of resistance at first, but then a few people decided to help out. One of the first of those people was Steve McFadden, also known as psychopenguin. He was the second or third from the GameFAQs community to sign up for an HonestGamers account, back when doing so was by no means a popular move and HonestGamers was not a proven site. I've always appreciated what he did to help this community establish a foothold during its most fragile days.

Sadly, Steve McFadden passed away in 2011, the victim of a lifetime of health problems and poor insurance (from what I could tell on Facebook posts). He hadn't recently written anything for HonestGamers, but he was still an online friend and I was saddened by his passing. So were a number of other people, and one of those individuals (who has the right to remain nameless if desired) came to me with a proposal for a fresh reviewing contest on the site. The proposal came with the offer of an exciting prize. Given the role Steve played in the site's early days, I was happy to accept that offer and now it gives me great pleasure to officially announce...

The PsychoPenguin Review Extravaganza!

The rules are simple:

1) You submit a new review for a qualifying title;
2) If site staff accept your submission and it is posted (remember that we're looking for strong writing here, as always), you add your link to this thread so that I know it is a contest entry;
3) When the contest deadline (11:59PM, April 30th, 2012) passes, new entries are no longer permitted;
4) I sort through all eligible reviews and I pick a winner. I will likely leave some comments on some or all of the reviews, so that you get something out of your participation even if you don't win big.

The prize for this sponsored contest is $150, to be sent to the prize winner via PayPal shortly after the contest results are announced (expect results in mid to late May, depending on the number of entries).

There are a total of 104 eligible games. What games are eligible? Any games that Steve reviewed for HonestGamers are fair game, but you must review the same version that he did. He covered a lot of games for a variety of retro platforms, so you should have a lot of options available to you quite affordably. Here's the official list of games, broken down by system:

http://www.honestgamers.com/psychopenguin/blog/content/reviews.html

Only one review from any one contributor is eligible. Alt accounts are prohibited. Site staff (excluding myself, duh!) are eligible to participate, as site staff are volunteers and don't deserve to be excluded from the running. To enter this contest, you must be 18 or older, or have consent from a parent or guardian. You'll need to have a PayPal account to receive your prize. There are no substitutions.

Thank you for your entries, and good luck!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 02, 2012 (02:39 PM)

Brilliant! I was just reading his inflammatory comments on one of my old reviews. Maybe not the best way to remember him but I swear it was a nostalgic and fond viewing. I will definitely be taking part in this.

A very cool way to recognize his memory.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: April 02, 2012 (03:14 PM)

I can still remember the time he awarded Doodleheimer Review of the Day.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 02, 2012 (04:13 PM)

This is a cool idea. He did get people to write. Me included. Noting a lot of his reviews, there's stuff I -still- want to play.

So, what if 2 people review the same game? Is that ok, or is it first come first serve?

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 02, 2012 (04:27 PM)

Schultz asked a question I was wondering myself. There's a couple of Genesis and NES games I could do in his list, though, so I've got a few backups if that's the case.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 02, 2012 (04:37 PM)

Awesome idea!

Especially since I started FF X on Friday and it's one of the games on the list! I KNEW THERE WAS A REASON!!!!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: April 02, 2012 (04:43 PM)

There's no restriction as to which game you review, even if someone else decides on the same game, as long as you're actually reviewing the same version of the game that Steve reviewed. As the judge for this event, though, let me remind you that it probably works to your advantage if you're the only one covering a given title. Just know that it's not mandatory.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: April 02, 2012 (06:09 PM)

In the interest of fairness, I'll reveal that I'm planning to review Actraiser. It's a game on the list I already own and feel quite strongly about, as it played a large role in my childhood. It's also short enough that I can go in and fully play it again before reviewing. I don't know if anyone else was planning on snagging the title, but maybe the information will be helpful to you when debating your choices.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 02, 2012 (09:17 PM)

Ooh, damn. I didn't notice he also had Metroid: Zero Mission. Now I'm really torn. Well, I've got some options, at least, in case someone goes for Actraiser.

board icon
Author: Sise-Neg
Posted: April 11, 2012 (03:14 PM)

Wow, I can't believe I just found out about Psycho Penguin's death today. He would drop by the Legend of Legaia board on Gamefaqs from time to time to chat with us regulars on the particular board, and I often used a few of his FAQs which were very well detailed. I was wondering why we hadn't heard from him in a while :( R.I.P. penguin.

Edit: So just to make sure I'm reading the OP correctly, the link to the review we submit gets posted in this thread?

Everything begins and ends with Sise-Neg!

board icon
Posted: April 11, 2012 (04:02 PM)

Yup, that's right.

board icon
Author: Sise-Neg
Posted: April 11, 2012 (04:19 PM)

Cool.

Since I knew psycho penguin best through talking with him about the Legaia series, I'll submit my review of Legaia 2: Duel Saga for the contest. It's only fitting.

http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/10167.html

Everything begins and ends with Sise-Neg!

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2012 (03:29 PM)

Pulled out the Super Nintendo today to hook up to the HDTV and get some Actraiser in... hah, it's too old for the HDTV to know what to do with... looks like I'm reviewing something else!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: April 15, 2012 (03:30 PM)

Zipp, if you've got a N64 or GameCube you can use the AV cables to plug it in.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

This message was deleted at the request of zippdementia, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2012 (03:39 PM)

Correction: I'm an idiot. I was trying to hook up my SNES using DVD cables. I have too many cables. Absolutely shocked that the DVD cable fit into the SNES slot, though.

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2012 (05:03 PM)

By the way, Jerec, thanks. Because without your message I wouldn't have thought to check my cables!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 15, 2012 (08:29 PM)

Great contest idea, but I'm pretty sure the only qualifying game that I'd be able to review without replaying it is Final Fantasy VII, and I think it's safe to say that no one is interested in reading another FFVII review from me.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: April 15, 2012 (08:42 PM)

I don't think anyone is interested in reading another Final Fantasy VII review from anyone.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: April 15, 2012 (09:37 PM)

I know that's why I didn't choose FFVII. Actraiser is going to be an interesting one to review. My nostalgia has not coloured it at all. I didn't enjoy myself, lol.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: April 16, 2012 (08:31 AM)

Suskie, how about reviewing Koudelka? It's dark, sort of Resident Evil style but a turn-based RPG, and very short. Not more that 10 hours and possibly less. PP hated it. Your take on it would be interesting to read.

By the way, I'm the one bankrolling this competition, and thanks to Jason for the concept. Nice to see it's up and running. :)

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 16, 2012 (09:14 AM)

I was thinking Koudelka. But maybe I'll just bash Chrono Cross again. It was the only thing Steve & I could bring ourselves to agree on, after all.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 16, 2012 (11:06 AM)

Koudelka's a good suggestion, actually. If that doesn't work, I'll probably review FFVII just for kicks. I wouldn't expect anyone to read it but it would seem silly not to enter a contest like this.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 16, 2012 (11:46 AM)

I insist you do Koudelka, Suskie. Can't argue with the random italics.

It's a game that should get more coverage.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 16, 2012 (01:07 PM)

Ah, do FF VII. It'll make me feel less lonely for doing FF X.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.