Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Wild Arms 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Wild Arms 2 on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 30, 2012 (02:07 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

How's the enemy rate in this game? What finally killed Wild Arms for me was the terrible battle and dungeon graphics mixed with an inability to speed through them because I was attacked every three-five steps. And it is very weird that this game came out at the same time as FFVII. Really shows you how far advanced Square Enix was in terms of graphics. I guess they still are, but it doesn't stand out as much these days.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 30, 2012 (02:27 PM)

The enemy rate is really improved. To be honest, I'm a bit annoyed by it now, as I'm grinding for optional bosses and it's low enough in most areas that grinding takes longer than I'd like.

And, as long as it's not a surprise attack, you can hit the "search area/use tool" button and avoid combat.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 30, 2012 (04:32 PM)

What, really? You can just escape?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: March 30, 2012 (07:17 PM)

In most cases, yes. However, if you do it too often, soon enough you'll get a "surprise" battle where you are attacked by a mob and lose the first turn. Honestly, despite the shoddy translation and awful graphics, WA2 was a gem. If it had better mechanical features, it would probably be the best WA game, at least in my opinion.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 31, 2012 (02:18 AM)

Great review! I've been meaning to replay this game since it was one of my favorites in the series, and even one of my favorite games on PSX. I don't think I was quite as bothered by the ugly graphics or philosophical banter. I had a lot of fun playing the game, and I was hooked into seeing what else it would do to jump the shark.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: March 31, 2012 (06:04 AM)

The one thing I'll never forget about WA2 was it had that puzzle in the Spiral Tower involving the days of the week that you wouldn't get right unless you were Japanese because their week starts on Monday instead of Sunday. I wasted so much time trying to figure out how I was wrong and became livid when I looked up the solution on GameFAQs.

_

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 31, 2012 (07:45 AM)

Our weeks start on Monday as well. The entire worlds do unless you live in North America.

WA2, though, was a mistranslated mess nontheless. Which is a shame because it could have been a great game. Instead, it's forever the transition title where new ideas were tried out and refined in later games.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.