Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Mass Effect 3 review

This thread is in response to a review for Mass Effect 3 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: March 23, 2012 (12:25 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I saw the ending (or at least one of them) online and honestly didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The biggest offense to me is how the plot barely progressed since the first game. I haven't played 2 or 3 and don't feel like I missed anything content-wise.

This probably has a lot to do with these so-called "game journalists" hyping the series up as something that is supposedly bridging the gap between games and film. I never really bought this so even if I was a fan of the series it really isn't anything that I would lose sleep over.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 23, 2012 (01:07 PM)

Suskie, I should say that your constant talk about how good the game is aside from story is a real hook for me. I am going to hold out until Summer, when I'll have some more time, but then I'll pick up Mass Effect 2 and 3 and the first game be damned. And it's all because of your convincing reviews, my friend.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 23, 2012 (08:22 PM)

Thanks, Zipp, and I'm glad to hear it. Though if you're skipping right to ME2, I'd urge you to take Genj's advice and look up a Let's Play of the first one. ME1 hasn't aged well in comparison to its sequels, but its story is still pretty phenomenal and you really don't want to settle for a half-assed version of it (which you'll be getting if you download the interactive comic that comes with ME2).

Sportsman: Yeah, that's what I was getting at about people having unrealistic expectations. I do think that the series explores ways of telling stories that other mediums couldn't, but stories are linear by nature.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 23, 2012 (09:38 PM)

The comment about not aging well surprises me, since most people tell me that Mass Effect is way better than part 2.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: March 23, 2012 (10:34 PM)

Complicated answer, Zig. ME1 is still my favorite game in the series. It's got the best story, the broadest scope (ME1 has always felt like a playable science fiction novel to me, and a big part of that is how expansive its universe is), and the most distinct visual style. On the other hand, it's also the least polished of the three, with certain elements either not holding up by today's standards (like the combat) or just not working well to begin with (like the horrible vehicle controls and the overambitious uncharted planet missions associated with them). BioWare's frantic struggles to correct these issues have sent the series in a different, more action-centric direction, and while the series has improved mechanically, they've also cut down on some of the elements that made ME1 so special in the first place.

The simplest way I can put it is that while I love all three games, ME1 is the one that feels the most distinctly like an RPG. It'll always be my favorite for that, regardless of the many changes BioWare have made for the better.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: March 27, 2012 (06:01 PM)

This deserves a thread bump, trust me:

Apparently the next stage of the ReTake campaign is to send BioWare lots of cupcakes.

The plan is to have them be in three different colours, but all the same flavour. XD

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: March 27, 2012 (08:59 PM)

Heard about that. Whether or not I agree with it, this is the sort of protesting I can get behind.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.