Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > threetimes's Shadow Hearts From the New World review

This thread is in response to a review for Shadow Hearts From the New World on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 20, 2011 (02:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

After playing and loving Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 (and Koudelka) I couldn't think why I couldn't get into this game, despite the same enjoyable battle system being in place, but you've nailed it. The characters were so bland that it was just impossible to care about their little adventure, and the change in setting did not work for the series. Also what was up with Killer and Lady? I never got far enough in to find out what their deal was.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: November 20, 2011 (03:37 PM)

Yeah, I know a few people who just couldn't finish the game they hated it so much after the others. And Killer's motivation and history is never explained, although you do find out about Lady. Major spoilers stuff.

And thanks. I pared this down a lot to try and keep it focussed. Left out all the stuff about how Johnny sucked, literally.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: November 30, 2011 (05:42 PM)

This is the only SH game I've been able to get hold of, and I enjoyed it (though I haven't replayed it), so it's interesting to me that the previous games are superior. The problem is they're kind of hard to obtain.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: December 01, 2011 (03:41 PM)

Yes, they are, but worth the effort. Just avoid buying the strategy guide to SHC as it's probably the worst guide ever produced. Full of errors, no maps, all round rubbish.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: JujuZombie
Posted: May 29, 2012 (06:25 PM)

Yeah I finished this game because I'm a big fan of the series too, but this one is a real letdown. You explained it very well why. Sure, it's loads of fun to play, in fact the gameplay is probably the best out of all the games...can't argue that. But it just doesn't have that charm and feel of the other games, which is why I liked them to begin with. Instead, seems to me like a juvenile collection of dumbass humor and a buncha crap I can't take seriously. I didn't like how it didn't connect to the mythos of the series...well, I guess Roger Bacon was there...or whatever that old dude name's was, I forgot. But eh. Awesome review. :)
Also, Lady and Killer (wow, nice names there guys) are not Yuri and Alice, damnit. XD

I'm of the mind that the only sane people left are the ones who were crazy to begin with.
-Stinger

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.