Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > SamildanachEmrys's Elite review

This thread is in response to a review for Elite on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: July 30, 2010 (03:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I really enjoyed reading this review.

Elite is often wheeled out by the British gaming press whenever they need an article on a landmark home-grown title, so it's nice to see it subjected to a less emotional analysis.

This review made me want to and go look for more info. I learnt that the planet names and info are "procedurally generated," which I think means that they are randomly generated. Also, the music wasn't in the original BBC Micro (the first computer I ever used!) version and is supposed to be a reference to 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Apparently the best version is the Acorn Archimedes one...

Anyway, good review.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: July 30, 2010 (06:50 PM)

> Don't even attempt to deal with the wireframe space stations. In theory it's possible to dock
> manually, but I have yet to succeed in two decades of play. Far safer to use the docking computer

Heh, I didn't even know there was a docking computer. As I recall, my experience of Elite on the Apple II was of being awed by looking at this spinning dodecahedron wireframe space station in front of me, and just crashing into it as I tried to enter it. Many times.

I don't think I ever traded anything or went to another galaxy... of course it was a pirated copy and I had no instructions, and this was a game I'd consider impossible to work out without instructions or guidance.

In light of my own experience, this is the first review I read of this game to gel with it. Usually I just feel like an idiot as I read these reviews about people roaming the universe, etc.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: July 31, 2010 (04:47 AM)

Actually that sums up my experience of Elite too.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: July 31, 2010 (12:11 PM)

Thanks for the feedback. I do have some fond memories of Elite - at the time, it was unlike anything I'd ever played. Sadly it was that (relative) uniqueness, rather than actual fun, that made it appealing.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.