Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > woodhouse's Rondo of Swords review

This thread is in response to a review for Rondo of Swords on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 14, 2008 (09:17 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I pretty much agree with this review. I bought it when it was released, but stopped at stage 11. This game is very unfair and not fun to play. It's only redeeming quality is the way it alters conventional SRPG mechanics, but it's so unbalanced that I really couldn't stand playing it anymore.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 14, 2008 (10:36 AM)

Reading about its brutal unbalanced difficulty (just about everyone whose review I've read so far mentioned it), I can't help but wonder if the option to "Egress" (to use the Shining Force term) from battles to indefinitely redo them and keep your exp was added as an afterthought; an attempt to offset the punishing difficulty without having to rebalance the entire game.

The combat system sounds interesting, but oddities like enemies being unassailable if they have walls on three sides and mages/archers not being able to get close enough to fight without getting trampled on the next turn by enemies passing through your tanks...they just don't sound intentional. More like something that was likely discovered in testing but no easy solution was found.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 14, 2008 (11:10 AM)

That might be true, though Momentum Counter (which I don't think this review mentions, but probably should) tries to rebalance the thing. MC is a stat that increases based on performance and draws enemy attention. If you put a character with 60 MC and a character with 20 MC in positions so that the enemy can only attack one of them, they will go for the character with 60. There are skills that let you increase MC for free as well. There's also a skill called ZOC (Zone of Control) which prevents enemies from passing through you, thus protecting allies behind you. Both of those should problem be mentioned in the review since they are the bread and butter of the game.

Still though, very unbalanced and needlessly difficult. That's just poor design.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.