Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zippdementia's Half-Minute Hero review

This thread is in response to a review for Half-Minute Hero on the PSP. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: February 25, 2010 (03:21 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

My goodness...this is a cool game. It deserves a quick, snappy review. I'm not 100% sold on the whole dialog with the fellow reviewer, but given that it extols brevity in games, I think a review is best brief. I'm not sure how much reviews are ALLOWED to piggyback. I'd like to see interaction or respectful argument among reviewers, yet here this good effort feels forced. I can't make suggestions on that, sadly.

As for what I'd fix, I do think the action paragraph is a bit long, and I'd be more interested to hear if HMH actually takes a shot at being conventional, or if it's satirical all the way through. "Some memorable and innovative things?" I'm intrigued, beyond CATS.

Yet I feel that CATS doesn't necessarily show how ridiculous the whole RPG genre is--Zero Wing was, after all, a shooter. Isn't it more exact to say, with this sort of example, that there are reliably ludicrous cross-genre elements, and RPGs may focus on the worst of them, and do so to profit? I think that's a small problem with an entertaining tour de force review, when it sweeps me to a harsh conclusion that just doesn't seem justified on reflection. Clever zingers do not an argument make. Still, it was a lot of fun getting there.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 25, 2010 (12:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I think you're right, that last paragraph could use some expansion. It wouldn't be hard. There's a lot of material in the game to work with.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.