Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's BioShock 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for BioShock 2 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 15, 2010 (08:53 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm glad you didn't use the lazy old "more like an expansion pack than a sequel" routine here; that's a phrase I've already seen in several reviews for this game alone, and it's one I'm frankly sick of. I like the conclusion you came to about BioShock working better as a standalone game, and that a multiplayer expansion was really all it needed. I liked the game more than you did, but while I'm seeing some improvements most people apparently aren't, I agree that it by and large does nothing for the franchise, at least until the end, like you said. Good review, overall.

Myself... honestly, the fact that you can now turn off vita chambers and dual-wield weapons and plasmids has really made the combat more enjoyable for me. It's still got a lot of the same problems the first one had (namely the awful pacing), but the underwhelming plot and recycled environments are canceled out by the entertaining combat, in my mind. If these tiny adjustments had been made for the first BioShock, it would have been a much better game.

Although I hear the people would played it on PS3 had the option to turn vita chambers off. Lucky them.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 16, 2010 (01:08 AM)

Hmm, I never really did have any issues with the Vita Chambers in either game, since I would just reload my recent save after dying. But I guess I can see the convenience for some players to have it disabled.

Thanks for the comments on the review.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: February 16, 2010 (04:53 AM)

"raging gorillas that used to be black men"

Where in the blinking crikey did you get this from?

Suskie: But it does feel more like an expansion pack than a sequel.

Your feelings kinda echo mine, Pikhut. For me, the excellent final couple of hours made me more enamoured to the game than you seem to be, but those first five or six were such an underwhelming slog. The combat, though, I did find to be better, particularly when doing the harvest missions. I gave it a 7 at the place I reviewed it, which I'd stick by.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 16, 2010 (05:13 AM)

One of the Brutes had a diary on him, who happened to be black. Also, one of the concept art shows a black Brute in a bellhop suit.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 16, 2010 (11:05 AM)

Great review pickhut. Great insights delivered in the most succinct and no-frills manner possible. I also agree with everything you said. ^_^

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: February 16, 2010 (12:19 PM)

Thanks!

I didn't think I would get this many comments. Or any. >_>

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: February 25, 2010 (03:25 AM)

Big picture stuff--I liked this review too.

Cranky RotWer-proofreader sentence-level stuff:

The only thing about this review that made me grumble was the over-colloquialism e.g. "a hell of a sight" combined with fluffy words and sentences like "The actual gameplay isn't that bad, because it, too, retains the original's to a t." or "It really does try to mimic the first game in nearly every aspect." "Gameplay" is one of those abstract nouns that give a general idea but it's more like a rating than a feel for the game, and "to a t" is the sort of thing I dislike. The second sentence has 2 adverbs that can just GO, and it seems better broken down into a few examples (which you already have) and ways in which BioShock 2 doesn't imitate it. The next paragraph sort of destroys the meaning of this sentence as you point out some differences and why you don't think that's enough.

The editor's pen probably comes down too heavily here, but my impression is that it'd work even better to say straight out that you're glad you stuck around the mediocre game til the end. There's a bit of "he said she said" pong between what you don't like and like, and that's important to observe, but a series of observations will make for a good review if not a great one. That said, your claim that multiplayer is what makes BioShock work, and that the $60 expansion pack is not worth it, is good. Maybe you could have a teaser for that in the first paragraph?

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: February 25, 2010 (05:23 AM)

I really don't see the added benefit of mentioning it in the beginning, since it works either way, so I'm fine the way it is.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.